You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:57 pm 

I'm one of the lucky ones in that my family has been very good about our kids' allergies (food, dogs, etc.), but trust me, you are not alone. I have heard a lot of stories where the family members don't only not get it, they almost seem to go out of their way to put allergens in the path of the allergic person. It's very bizarre and unfortunate.

I can only offer my sympathy. I wish I had more good advice to give.

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:48 pm 

Yeah - I can relate. I have to admit my Mom has done a great job of educating herself with regards to DDs allergies. Her house is even peanut & sesame free! They don't even live near us and they know we can never spend the night there anymore because they have a cat & dog, but they always go to such an effort to keep her grandchildren safe. Even calling manufacturers that I've told her are ok, just to make sure. Plus she figures having another consumer call & ask makes them more aware! Yay for my Mom :D

But the otherside of the family isn't the same at all. We went for a family gathering and there was a ton of stuff that DD was allergic to, even stuff we told them we weren't comfortable having around her. She had a minor reaction (local hives) and I gave her Benedryl right away and my MIL couldn't understand why she was having a reaction since she hadn't eaten anything! I spent weeks baking safe goodies to bring so that I knew there would be a bunch of safe stuff out that people could snack on - it was never put out! DH decided after that incident that we won't be doing that again! Horray!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:23 pm 

My parents had and have a hard time understanding allergies. My sister and I both have severe food allergies.

My father insists that the cheapest cost food is the best food and is not dependable to read labels (part of that is his vision is failing him). When I visit my parents, the first thing I have to do is go shopping for safe food. My father gets mad at my choices claiming they are too expensive for one time usage.

Anyways, it gets old explaining food allergies over and over again.

Part of the problem is since neither my sister and I figured out that our problems with food were food allergies until we were adults, my parents can not grasp the idea that their daughters can not eat what they always used to eat.