Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: citrus allergy
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:26 pm 

Hi,
I have an anaphalactic allergy to citrus (only the genuine stuff, not imitation),I wear a medic alert tag and have to carry an epi-pen. I find it frustrating sometimes as when I mention food allergy the first thing people assume is peanuts. I have learned coping methods over the years and my doctor gave me a line to remember "when in doubt, go without" which has proven of use too many times to count! People without serious allergies have a hard time understanding those of us that do and I think the most important thing manufacturers of food products can do is make sure everything is labelled on their foods (I take so long shopping for food because almost every label has to be read.) Because my allergy is rare, or so I'm told, many manufacturers do not want to disclose what their "natural" ingredients are and some restaurants do not believe me. Everyone is aware of peanut allergies because of the tremendous exposure of the media but other food allergies are ignored and this needs to change.(needless to say I have stopped purchasing or eating out at such places due to their ignorance)
As we keep hearing that food allergies are on the rise society as a whole needs to take more responsibility for the health of others. Too many public places you see people eating in stores,libraries and such-where are their manners, never mind food allergies? Although I do not agree completely with banning certain foods in the schools (these children have to learn how to protect themselves from an early age; they are not protected when in public places people are eating anything anywhere!) More education (on food allergies) in the schools would help promote a better understanding and tolerance for children with food (and other allergies).
I have two children,one has mild allergies, the other severe drug allergies, and I also have severe drug allergies as well. My children when very young had witnessed me having a severe allergic reaction and were very helpful to me at the time. They have understood then and have a greater tolerance towards those with food allergies now so I know that children can be made to understand these things.
I would like to know if anyone knows someone with a citrus allergy like me, and how they cope with it.
Thanks.
L. Davis

Post subject: Post topic
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:59 am 

L.Davis
My children have witnessed many a reaction during their life time from me. They are now 25 and 28 this year. Yes, some allergies did get passed on.
I do not have the Citrus one you speak of. My Hairdresser is anaphylatic to oranges when they are being peeled. She had a reaction in March in front of her teenage daugter.
I know of another person who has the milder hives from oranges.
I do not know if this will help you feel less alone.

Last edited by Kelly on Wed May 25, 2005 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:38 pm 

Kelly,
Thanks for sharing! If there are a few of us with citrus allergies perhaps it's time to add citrus to the list of foods to watch out for. As I said in my previous letter, there seems to be new allergies developing over the years (perhaps a product of all the decades of chemicals and pesticides?) Those of us with less common allergies really are on their own because even allergy alert sites don't list our potentially dangerous foods to avoid...
L. Davis

Post subject: POst topic
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:57 pm 

L.Davis
You are most welcome.
I really agree about people eating all over it seems to be a new Vogue thing do.
Take care
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:54 pm 

The only allergies listed everywhere are the "big 8" that are now the "big 10", but know that there are so many other allergies out there and many of us that are allergic to them! Peanut allery is the one that is everywhere and last year FAAN had a study that showed that more people were allergic to fish and seafood than to peanuts... the only difference was in the age groups... we've had to learn to fight on our own to live safely while the peanut allergy parents want everyone to fight to have their kids live safely (sorry, it's not personnal, just something I noticed over the years...). I have fish allergy and it's part of the top ones and no one thinks it can be as bad as peanuts... but it can be worst! I've enven been told many times that I can't be that allergic to fish if I can eat peanuts????? It's a fight for recognition that we may never win...

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:20 pm 

Hi, my son was 2 years old when he reacted to pineapple or lemon. We are not sure which because he had both at the same time. His lips and tongue swelled up. I was super shocked when the allergist told us they didn't even make allergy tests for those because they are so uncommon. He recently told me that his mouth hurts when he eats oranges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:01 pm 

Hi kerriku, Some allergists test people for foods that they are allergic to with the fresh food when a lab preparation isn't available--you might want to ask your allergist about this in your son's case. Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:50 pm 

I have a weird question - Are citrus allergies the same as tree fruit allergies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:45 am 

I dont think that all tree fruit is similar enough to class it all under the heading of a "tree fruit allergy" if you are allergic to one type of fruit that grows in a tree. It is possible to group nuts like that because their composition is so similar, but the composition of fruit can vary greatly from one to the next.

kerriku - in pineapple it may be the acidity that is the problem, but it could just as easily be the proteins in the pineapple. I am also mildly allergic to pineapple and have been since childhood when i first had some fresh pineapple, but i find that having it with dairy products neutalises the affect. Although i am NOT sure that this would be the case with your son.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:26 pm 

TmcG--were you referring to oral allergy syndrome? i.e. were you asking whether a citrus allergy is the same as oral allergy syndrome?

i'm really not sure about that. are there any pollens that cross react with citrus? there must be. but i would *guess* that citrus could also be an allergen in and of itself since it seems to be associated with anaphylaxis more than other fruits. (i think in the same way, nut allergies are associated with pollen allergies a lot of the time, but not all of the time. i.e. some people are sensitized to nuts through inhaling pollen which is similar in structure and some people are sensitized to the nut itself through absorption through the gastrointestinal tract.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:26 pm 

Thanks for deciphering my post!!! As some with OAS, I'm at a loss on what fruits I can eat aside from berries.

I think I need some kind of degree in fruit-ology to understand the various families and how they are related to tree fruit / tree nuts / pollen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:34 am 

From my experience, I would say that just about anything can cross react with pollens--I react to most raw fruits and vegetables.

there are some fruits and veggies I will never try again unless cooked well. But I do find that my reactivity varies for some foods.

i'd start by getting test results from pollens--birch, ragweed, etc., and finding a list of fruits and veggies which cross react with those pollens. (this isn't a sure-fire way of proceeding however. it is possible to react to some fruits and veggies in a group but not to others.) for me, the fruits and vegetables that cross react with birch and ragweed tend to be the worst.

Last edited by Helen on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Citrus Allergy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:33 pm 
I was born with a milk protein allergy and a "sensitivity" to citrus. It wasn't until I had too many oranges one year that put my citrus allergy over the "deep end". Now I cannot have ANY citrus. My milk allergy was very difficult growing up because milk allergies back in 1962 weren't that common. Now because of "lactose intolerant" people becoming more prevelant - my milk protein allergy is much easier to deal with when eating out.

I'm a consultant and I travel for a living - so I eat out 4-5 days per week. One of the best restaurants that handle allergies is Maggiano's. They handle food allergies with a "pink" ticket and then the manager delivers your food. Traveling on airplanes is very difficult with citrus when they serve oranges, or the person next to me squeezes a lemon. Personally I think all food should be discontinued on flights 2 hrs or less.

The FDA hasn't been much help over the years in regards to food allergies. They even allow "non-dairy" products to carry the title of "non-diary" when they contain milk protein! Non-dairy whipped topping is a good example of this - it contains MILK protein!

Citrus can be hidden under citric acid (which can be a vinegar based or lemon based addition). There is citric acid in almost every packaged food product (including soda pop). It's used as a common preservative. Citrus is even in Corona Beer (without adding the lemon). I wrote to them once inquiring due to my reaction, but I never received a response. I personally react to some white wines (not certain why because I'm not allergic to grapes - and wines aren't supposed to have added oils). Needlessto say, I stick to red wines or REALLY buttery/expensive whites. Some microbeers also add citrus oils to their brew.

YES - all food contents should be required to be disclosed!

My tongue is my first indicator when I eat citrus - it swells and looks like I poured sulfuric acid on it (not to mention is hurts and burns). Then my head itches like crazy (where you want to scratch your skin off). Then I start to get hives and eczema. I find that I have to take Benedryl for about 3 days to stop itching.

Common Citrus fruits are anything in the orange, lemon, lime, kiwi, grapefruit, pineapple families. Berries and melons should be fine - but some bananas and apples can have an acidic quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Zanmeister, Welcome to the Allergic Living forum.

The restaurant you name sounds interesting. Is Maggiano's a chain or in one specific city?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:21 pm 
http://www.maggianos.com/locations/

It's a chain.