You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:21 pm 

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this has come up in another thread, but I just wanted to give the heads up that some of Aveeno's current and newly-released products have almond oil and glycerides in them.

I've been using Aveeno for about twenty years on a daily basis - body wash, bath oil, soap, face soap, etc. Just recently I happened to read the back of my Bath Oil and it said it contained almond oil or glycerides. Same thing with my fragrance-free bodywash. The interesting thing is, not all Aveeno products contain almonds, but even still, some products of the same line vary too. For example, my fragrance free daily moisturizing bodywash has it, but my Mom's same bottle with fragrance does not. There are also two other kinds in this line (one is stress relief) that do not have it according to the label. For the bath oil, one kind does, another does not. The powders also do not.

I went on the website today to do some investigating, and Aveeno claims that this fragrance-free bodywash is hypoallergenic. Can this be so, even with almonds?

I'm curious if anyone else knows anything about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:16 pm 

I ran into the "hypo-allergenic" thing a while back. Apparently, it has no consistent meaning among manufacturers. It is basically a selling point with no real meaning... it has notihing to do with allergens :roll: . That REALLY sucks about the aveeno...hopefully the lotion we use is not problematic for us in the future. Almond oil is common in sensitive and unscented products because it masks the chemical smell..that's why it is not in scented products very often.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:07 am 

Lin101, Wow... thanks for the heads up on this. We've been using Aveeno Bath and Shower Oil for years on our son's skin, and we LOVE it. I just checked the bottle we have right now, and it does not say anything about almond oil; however, it is possible this could have been old stock in the store. I sure hope it hasn't changed. I've just sent an email off the Aveeno to ask about this. Again, thanks. I will be very upset if I learn that the formulation has changed. Why would any company make a move TOWARDS introducing nuts into products that do not yet contain nuts. That seems crazy to me.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:46 pm 

I know, it's scary isn't it. I'm also going to email them, and my Mom did too so hopefully we can get something going.

I just find it sooo irresponsible to label something "hypoallergenic" and have it include nut products. What planet are they living in? Especially since I imagine many people who use Aveeno are particularly sensitive, and likely have allergies as eczema and allergies often go together.

I guess I just worry about contamination - I would love to just use Aveeno products that don't contain almonds, but the irresponsibility they've shown in labelling scares me a bit. I'm glad that you're aware of this now, Julie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:16 pm 

I just received an email response from Aveeno specifically regarding the Aveeno Shower and Bath Oil:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Julie,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding our AVEENO® Shower & Bath Oil product.

I am happy to inform you that there has been no formula change to the product and that the product does not contain any almond oil.

Should you require further information, I invite you to e-mail us again or call the Information Centre at: 1 800 361-8068.

Sincerely,

MJ
JOHNSON & JOHNSON® Information Centre
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, it looks like the product our family is using is okay, but it's really unfortunate other product formulation has been altered to include almond oil. It's so hard when we (the allergic community) become so accustomed to using a "safe" product (especially when there is no easy replacement!) only to learn it has been moved to the "unsafe" category. I hope you can find an alternate safe product.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:30 pm 

Quote:
I went on the website today to do some investigating, and Aveeno claims that this fragrance-free bodywash is hypoallergenic. Can this be so, even with almonds?

I've given up asking the manufacturers. They just deny it. But I have chemical sensitivities and Aveeno in itself smells potent. In fact it burns my skin. And they call it fragrance-free!!
:twisted: I don't know about the almonds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:37 am 

Hi lin101,

Forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with almonds? I'm asking this, because I have friends who use them 'in natural' for their skins, and would like to warn them if they can be harmful for their health and/or skins.

In addition, it's good to know that some people still check what they use and what they contain. I began this 'tradition' when started using these:

sabonnyc.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:58 pm 

If you are allergic to almonds, it's not something you want to be spreading on your skin...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:06 am 

I just saw an Aveeno moisturizer in the store that I believe contains some type of peanut derivative. I can't remember the exact ingredient (I quickly sat the box back on the shelf), but I know it was a daily moisturizer.

Here it is:

Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer

Ingredients

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (0.5%) (Acne medication)

Inactive Ingredients: Arachidyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Behenyl Alcohol, BHT, BIS Phenylpropyl Dimethicone, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Dimethicone, Disodium EDTA, Ethylene Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Fragrance, Glycerin, Glycine Soja Seed Extract (Soybean), Isoceteth 20, Laureth 7, Methyl Gluceth 20, Polyacrylamide, PPG 10 Cetyl Ether, Water

Are the ingredients in bold letters peanut derivatives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:56 pm 

I too would not want - or could not - use anything with almond oil in it - would put me in hospital for sure. I use Renew - here's a link to tell you about it
http://www.melaleuca.com/ps/index.cfm?f ... 2=10&l3=35

here's the ingredients on the back of the bottle: Deionized water, glycerin USP, petrolatum USP,distearyldimonium chloride, isopropyl palmitate, cetyl alcohol, dimethicone. allantoin, T36-C5 Melaleuca Oil (that's tea tree oil), methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance

Now - it does have a light fragrance to it and I am scent sensitive - since its not a synthetic fragrance I got used to it very quickly and don't even notice it now.
if you are interested in trying it, pm me your address and i'll send you a trial size for free.
This is fantastic stuff for anyone with skin issues