You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:35 pm 

I had the same problem with my oldest (who is now in grade 2 ). In kindergarten things would come in, or the onsite daycare teachers would spring a food surprise on us, even though the teacher had said "no treats". I finally clued in that it would be best to have a little box of safe treats onsite -- and I stressed to the teachers that I did not care if Max got a few safe snack-sized chocolate bars if it would make him feel less left out. Sometimes they think they have to monitor the sugar intake of one child even though the rest of the class is stuffing themselves with cake...

Anyway, even though the grade 1 teacher said last year, "Oh, he'll never need the treats - I won't let anything in" (she was very anti-sugar, bless her), I think she was very grateful to have that little box of goodies at time, because people did forget and they did send stuff in sometimes.

I have come to realize that some people are very empathetic and always remember that there is a child who can't have the treats, but other just forget. I try to keep that in mind. I really like to take the high road and assume that no one in their right mind would want to make a small child feel that left out!! We are all different, and some people are more thoughtful than some, and remember things better than some...

All we can do is keep plugging away with the reminders (which reminds me ... ;) ) and make sure there is some kind of backup treats.

That's my 2 cents. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:39 pm 

just thought I'd bump this up given the time of year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:57 pm 

I just sent this in to the BC site for the 'Conversation on Health', which has a question about the need for mandatory physical and nutritional education in our schools:
Quote:
Yes, we need to improve nutrition in the schools. Right now, in the elementary school system there are far too many celebrations with food -- every holiday has a party, each child is allowed to bring in cupcakes for their birthday, and there are candy awards given for school work. I was even at a track and field meet where kids were given licorice at the end of their run! The habit of needing food to feel rewarded is a dangerous president to set -- one which I believe is learned by example. Who needs food for thought when we see the pains of obesity?

I would like to encourage other BC parents in this forum to send something similar by posting to http://www.bcconversationonhealth.ca/EN/405/89 Let's make sure the policy-makers know that all this junk food in our schools needs to be addressed! And I can tell you that I am hoping our Valentine's celebration is one limited to just cards....
Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:20 pm 

Hi Caroline -

I've got my 2 bits in on that "conversation", too. Hopefully, all concerned BC residents will make some comments...

Pam