Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergy testing
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:59 pm 

Hi,

I am being tested for the first time in 16 years. I have always been anaph. to fish, and my last allergist said he would never do the skin test on my again. I never asked why and am now wondering. My new allergist said he is would do the skin test with out concerns. Now I am wondering what are the chances of a full blown reaction to the skin test. Anyone have any problems with the test?

Also, what questions should I ask?

TIA,

Ali 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:41 pm 

I've never had a systemic reaction with the tests, although once I had a huge hive from the test for egg that didn't disappear completely for several days. I'm not sure what the chances are, but I know there is a very *slight* risk of anaphylaxis from the test. No one has ever died from the test, though (according to one of the speakers at AllergyExpo). Allergists differ on the precautions that they take. Some are concerned and don't want to test foods that people *know* they are severely allergic to. Others unconcerned about it. One of the doctors at AllergyExpo mentioned that he goes through his patients' medical history before testing them and if he is at all concerned about the test, he dilutes the solution. If there is no reaction from the diluted solution, he gradually increases the concentration.

Last edited by Helen on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:34 pm 

I have anaphylaxis to fish too. I had tests done a couple of years before that and I kept asking my previous allergist not to test me for fish but he always hid it from me (couldn't hide it for too long once the reaction started...)... and every time, I ended up with a swelled up arm for about a week... instead of just the little bumps, that whole part of the arm swell up, which by the way screwed up every other test he was doing. The swelling could last for about a week which I didn't like at all! When I told that to my new allergist, he said he would never do that to me, so I was relieved. 2 years ago the allergist wanted to see if I reacted too all the families as bad as I react to others. When we tested, he only put the drops on my arm for a couple of minutes than whiped them off... I had the little bumps in a couple of seconds, so we figured out the results :wink: . Because I react also to the smell, keeping the drops on my arm for a while would mean that I could smell them which is why we didn't keep them for too long, but if I can only react from the drops being on my skin for a few minutes without the little prick part, I know why I react to very little... but I only had the little bumps this time instead of the arm swelling!

But I think everything depends on your history. If you know you are allergic to fish and don't need to get confirmation, you can ask that he not perform that test... but if you want confirmation, based on your history, your allergist is the best judge and you can discuss your questions with him.

Mylène

Post subject: Post subject
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:38 pm 

I have never had the Fish or Shellfish tested.
I had a anaphlayixis to shellfish while young and the fish one has gotten worse as I have aged.
The Doctors who have wanted to retest for pollen, wool etc. have never done it for the fish or shellfish allergies. I have had 4 different Doctors over the last years in different areas of Canada. This is a span of many years....
Like another member I am inhalant anphylaxis but to Shellfish, fish , peanuts
I could not take the allergy needles and they were at the smallest dose. I had a tonque swelling, trouble breathing and swallowing also, lump on my arm that took a month to go away.
What ever you do write down questions as it can be very easy to forget your questions in the Office.
Best of Luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:16 pm 

Mylene, what a horrible story! Sounds illegal, actually.