You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:07 pm 

I can relate to what you are going through with your Ltl1. I have also been allergic to corn since infancy. Back then, mothers made their own formula using canned milk, distilled water and corn syrup. I was horribly sick for the first year of my life. It wasn't until I was taken off of the homemade formula and put onto regular milk (btw, none of those darn vitamins were added to milk back then) that my health improved dramatically. I was relatively healthy throughout the rest of my childhood and teenage years...I just had to avoid all of the obvious corn...fresh corn, canned corn, popcorn, corn starch, corn meal, etc. It wasn't until I was in my early 20s (about the time that they started putting corn (and corn derivatives) into EVERYTHING that I started having a lot of trouble again. My reactions are mostly skin related now, but I will react stomach wise as well. It is very difficult to avoid corn, but it is possible. I think that the dextrins and maltodexrins are mentioned in the Connor list. I have just always known that they are corn. I also use Organic Soy milk which hasn't been fortified. If you can find an unfortified goat's milk, that is good as well. As for soap, I do fine with unscented Neutrogena soap. I am even able to use it on my face with no reaction. I hope that your Ltl1 is feeling better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:49 am 

Ltl1--you might be able to get corn-free meat from Pilgrim's in St. Catharines.

http://www.yourlocalmarketplace.com/common/ylm_company_detail.asp?id=13350

I don't react to the citric acid in meat in the supermarket . . . so I wouldn't be able to say for sure that this meat doesn't have citric acid. But since the animals are raised by Old Order Mennonites in St. Jacob's, I'd say there is a pretty good chance it is corn free. Besiders, the animals are humanely treated, the prices really are quite reasonable----and the meat is the best I've tasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:53 am 

Eldi, thanks for the link to info. on the uses of corn.

Here's an interesting documentary on the politics of corn in the US (from NPR):

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1524341

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:49 pm 

ethansmom wrote:
Just wondering...my brother has complained that when he eats hot air popped popcorn, it gives him headaches. He doesn't have any problems eating corn in general -- does anyone have an opinion on this? (I'm not suggesting an allergy to corn but I thought that this type of reaction to popcorn odd...)

Just FYI - headache is actually listed as a symptom of anaphylaxis (and thus of allergic reaction).

See http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/de ... atsubid=15 - it's listed under "Other".

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:25 pm 

Hi

Thanks for the info. on the meat. I had forgotten abt. that place. That's a great idea.
I just keep reding this site. I am finding so much info here.

As awful as this allergy is it is nice to know others have it & have great info. & ideas. I will check in often.

As far as eating hot air popping corn...not to sure? Does he get the same reaction to microwave popped? Maybe there is something is the chemical change that gives off a stimulant for a headache. mmmmm.

LTL1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:39 am 

I do react to popcorn (how I miss popcorn!)---I doubt that the heat denatures the protein.

Post subject: Corn Allergy Blog
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:28 pm 

Here is a very interesting link to a fellow corn allergy sufferer's blog:

http://purplekangaroopuzzle.blogspot.co ... s-and.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:44 pm 

Here is another blog that I think I have posted a link to already...but it has been updated and it contains a ton of information about corn allergy:

http://no-corn.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:17 pm 

Here is a site which explains the use of unlabelled corn derived Citric Acid (and other additives) on fresh meat. This is very disturbing for those of us who are allergic to corn and react to corn derivatives such as Citric Acid. Some of my worst reactions are to Citric Acid (skin related and VERY visible).

http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/news/n ... pefiijmgox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:49 pm 

Thanks Karen and ltl1 for your replies to my question about my brother's headaches and popcorn -- just now saw your posts...
I'm definitely going to talk more to him about it and see if he's experienced any other symptoms along with the headaches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:39 pm 

This is interesting...they have warnings on medication for people who are allergic to citric acid and sodium citrates, but these two corn derivatives are being allowed as rinses/washes on our fresh meats. And yes...they are using this procedure in Canada as well, because I have very severe reactions to store-bought fresh meat. I am highly sensitive to corn derived citric acid (skin reactions).

https://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetCont ... iid=174297

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:51 pm 

Is this the kind of thing that you can wash off fresh meat? Or does it get absorbed into the meat so that there's no getting away from it? I'm just curious if it would help to wash the meat before cooking it, or if that wouldn't help at all...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:28 pm 

No...I'm afraid washing does not help. I've actually soaked fresh meat in ice water for hours hoping that might help, but it doesn't. I have no problem with farm beef and chicken, but that means LARGE quantities and room in your freezer. I'm getting really frustrated by this...as you can tell :o) I'm running out of safe food!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:30 pm 

That face was meant to be :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:30 am 

I appreciate the updates on corn allergy issues. I haven't reacted to meat, but it is good to know so I'm prepared in case I get that sensitive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next