You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:18 pm 

I'm wondering how refined the tree nut oil used in cosmetics is and whether it might not be an allergen risk. I've read some articles where ingesting highly refined peanut oil didn't cause reactions in peanut allergic people (but lower refined and "gourmet" with peanut fragments did, of course), and wonder how all that might translate to tree nut oil.

I've got some hand salve (Burt's Bees) where the first ingredient is sweet almond oil, and it was also in the Sensitive version of Dove that we used on DD for months and months (just found on the Dove website last week). Macadamia is in the body lotion I've used for years (Bath and Body Works).

Does it matter that I'm using it and not DD? Does anyone know how long it could stay "active" on the skin if it is a potential risk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:35 am 

I asked an allergist that last year because the teachers at my son's daycare were concerned about using soap and/or creams and lotions with nut oils in them around allergic children. My exact question was this:

"If a caregiver uses soap or puts on cream containing almond oil (or any kind of nut oil, I presume), is there a risk in their touching a child who is allergic to that particular nut?"

And his reply was this:

"The risk will be to cause localized cutaneous reaction and /or to provoke or increase sensitization. This is one of the theories in England of sensitization to peanuts via creams that contained peanut oil."

So it appears his concern was that if they had the product on their hands (more likely with the cream/lotion than with the soap, I would assume) and then touched someone who was allergic, the allergic person could react locally (that is, on the spot where they were touched), or, if they weren't allergic to that particular tree nut, they could become sensitized to it and potentially become allergic to it.

Hope this helps.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:26 am 

Thanks, that is helpful. My sister will be happy to get a box full of my lotions and soaps, I'm sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:18 pm 

Before we knew of our son's tree nut allergies, we used some Burt's Bees ointment on the back of our son's neck where his eczema was particularly bad. Following the application, our son's neck became very inflamed and red, so we didn't use the Burt's Bees again. It was later we learned of his tree nut allergy, so we now knew why he had reacted to the ointment. The reaction was only localized, but certainly enough of an irritant that we never used it again.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:24 pm 

I asked the allergist today and he said to definitely not use anything with tree nut or peanut oil if I might be touching/kissing her (so sad...my lipsticks have macadamia...). I still might use them if we're going out after she goes to bed. But since that only happens about once a year, with a slight hope that she'll outgrow these allergies, does anyone know if lipstick freezes well? For years? I just bought these, and they're my favorite shades that I finally found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:36 pm 

How's this for confusing:

A family dr. recommended I use almond oil to massage dry skin (eczema). An allergist later said it was perfectly safe, even for nut allergic people, since there wasn't any protein in the oil itself. In fact, the allergist apparently has patients who are ana. to peanuts who can tolerate digesting peanut oil. Later still, I read somewhere that the use of these oils can cause trouble for those with allergies (and may even sensitize those who don't have any).

I went with my gut and stopped using the almond oil (even though I didn't notice any negative effects).

Anyone else have similar stories?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:09 am 

Well, this post came just in time.

I just got released from the emergency department this morning, after being held there for 22 hrs. What caused the reaction, my co worker's hand cream. I did not even touch the cream of her. She was about 20 ft away, and I still had an anaphylactic reaction which required me to use my own twinject, another dose of epinephrine from the paramedics and one more dose in the hospital. The only thing in the ingredients that would of caused a reaction was... sweet almond oil.

So I guess it depends on your body if you react that severly or not. Again, everybody is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:38 am 

firemt, I'm glad you're OK now. Sorry to hear about your reaction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:29 am 

Wow! That's awful. I'm so glad you're all right.

I've already given some of my cosmetics away. I'm still looking up the ingredients on some...but I'm not using anything questionable. It's annoying that some things like peanut oil aren't clear - Arachis hypogaea on the label...not all of us are botanists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:47 pm 

Hi firemt,

That totally sucks. I too am glad that you are ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:51 pm 

Thanks guys, it never is easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:53 pm 

Wow Firemt, I'm so sorry to hear about your anaphylactic reaction, and so glad to hear you're now okay. That must have been a terrifying experience. How are you feeling now?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:00 pm 

Hey Julie,

I am doing alright now, just dealing with the little reactions now. But the prednisone and benadryl are doing their jobs.

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:40 pm 

Hey firemt -

Very sorry to hear about your reaction! I hope you're feeling 100% soon...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:57 am 

firemt--sorry to hear about your reaction. It is especially scary when those reactions seem to come out of nowhere.

on the nut oil issue---I used to think that I *probably* wasn't allergic to almonds (but didn't want to try them just in case). I once was given a handcream with almond oil and used it for a time (I love the scent of almonds.) The last time I had a skin prick test, I reacted more to almonds than to all the other nuts. There may be a connection!

I recall reading somewhere that oral avoidance of the allergy in combination with skin reactions is more likely to lead to an increased sensitization . . . the idea is that the immune system reacts differently to allergens absorbed through the skin. (Normally with a non-allergic response, oral ingestion is supposed to result in tolerance . . . so it makes sense to me that we can be sensitized through the skin.)