You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Skin prick test???
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:36 pm 

Today i went for a skin prick test and my allergy to seafood barely showed up! I had swelling for lobster ,clam and cod but it was only a 1. After eating shellfish (in any form!) I start weezing , break out in hives,throut itchy, my eyes water nose stuffy and the next day I'll have tiny blisters all over my body. I'n half tempted to eat some just to show the dr how I react! Is there a better way to test? Why didn't it show up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:30 pm 

Ask your doctor for a RAST test.

I have heard of SPTs giving false positives--I can't remember about false negatives. But if you're really concerned, I would get a RAST done. I wouldn't do a challenge (and at the doctor's office) w/o knowing what the result of that test is.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:55 pm 

Also be aware that eating the food is the true "gold standard test" (according to my allergist). So if a skin test (or even blood test) says that you're not allergic but you still react... well then you're allergic.

This is why people do oral challenges (once they have tested negative to the skin prick test and blood test) - it's the final "hurdle" to see if you truly are not allergic.

And this is also why allergists spend a lot of time on a patient's history: what has happened when you've eaten a food in the past is just as important as what the tests show. (Or at least it should be!!)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:42 am 

My son is allergic to fish and shellfish. When he was three, he reacted after eating rice and french fries that had touched my shrimp.

This fall his skin test was negative to shellfish as was his blood test. We were hopeful that he had outgrown his allergy.

Yesterday we were in the doctor's office for the oral challenge. The first part consisted of pricking the actual shrimp with the needle and using that to do the skin prick test.

He reacted! His wheel was 7mm and too big to continue. They would have done the oral challenge had it been 5mm or less.

I asked why it had showed up negative on both other tests and he explained that the proteins are often changed when they are converted to a solution. The tests are not perfectly accurate, I think that is why there are so many steps before actually eating the food. We are glad that we did the challenge in the office and didn't attempt to feed him shrimp at home. Who knows what kind of reaction he would have got.

Perhaps you could ask your allergist to do the skin prick test again with the actual food, you just might see a different result and that would explain why you are reacting upon eating it.

Denise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:42 am 
Site Admin

I agree with Denise. I, too, once tested negative for shrimp with the solution - despite the fact that I'd had a major anaphylactic reaction to shrimp a few years earlier.

I was completely confused by this; my allergist simply said to bring in a real shrimp and repeat the test. Voilà, giant wheal.

I guess if someone served me a bowl of solution, I'd be fine. Sigh. As I've started reacting to other foods, I prefer skin testing with real foods. I think it's helpful to be able to tell your allergist you've been prone to false negatives in the past. (They usually talk about false positives, which are more common.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:59 am 

Gwen, did the allergist give you a RAST and if yes, what was the result?

I don't know why they don't always do the test with the actual foods, especially peanuts. It would be easy enough to keep a jar of natural peanut butter (without any other ingredient) in the office. For the other foods, they could just ask the patients to bring it in.

My daughter has her food challenge for peanuts on February 15th. It sounds crazy but I'm almost hoping that she does react, just so we finally know.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:47 pm 

I have a pretty good history of fish allergy, i reacted to it when i was very litle, and my parents kept me away from it since then. I haven't eaten it since i was little, but i accidentaly ate calamari last year, and reacted severely to that. However, when i was 15 i was allergy tested and showed little to no reaction to different types of fish. My doctor told me that it was common that people reacted to fish, but did not react to the prick test. Odd! He just told me to continue avoiding it, and if i really wanted to eat it then we could do a test where i ate fish in his office.

I am a bit tempted to try eating fish, but also very frightened after my calamari incident, and i dont know what to do. It is also very annoying because they have a whole day every week dedicated to fish where all the cafeteria food has fish in it, and i always forget to bring a packed lunch. I don't only react to fish, i also react to shellfish (but not crab i think). Its weird, i hate allergies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:41 pm 

AnnaBanana - I don't know where you work (or if you're in school), but to avoid not being able to eat lunch on "Fish-fest" day, could you just keep some cans of safe food nearby? I know it's crappy food, but I love Chef Boyardee Ravioli so I always keep some cans at work for when I forget my lunch or am just too lazy to make one the night before. Soup is easy too... and I'm sure there are other things out there that you could maybe stash somewhere.

Hard to know what to advise whether to try a fish challenge or not... Could your allergist not skin test you as suggested by others - with the real food and not the extract (liquid)?

I would not try a challenge at home, just in case you do have a severe reaction like you did with the calamari. You want to be somewhere where you can get rapid medical attention.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:36 am 

My previous allergist tested me for a lot of different species of fish at my request. I wanted to see if I could have some types. I reacted to some on the SPT, and (at the time not knowing much about the tests) I asked him if I could go out and try the fish I had tested negative to (some tests were positive). He said absolutely not to try it at home but suggested bringing in the fish I wanted to try, retesting with the fresh fish and then doing an oral challenge. I didn't end up trying any other fish . . . I chickened out. I'm just sticking to salmon (which, however, I've begun to wonder about since I've gotten a minor case of hives a few times after eating it + have had some GI issues. I'm not giving it up yet!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:09 pm 

salmon is the worst for me, salmon and cod.

Karen- I go to school. I always try to remind myself to bring packed lunch on fishday, but its hard to remember and also find the time to in the morning. I will talk to my allergist about it next time i see him (i have a new one because i just moved) so hopefully that will go well.