You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:56 am 

"Meanwhile, she has to go on for months assuming she is allergic to peanuts and corn, just because the doctor wants to wait til the summer to do a food challenge. She's still eating things with corn syrup and corn starch, just avoiding anything with corn protein."

I have been reading alot about sulfites this past while, and tonight I found out that my banned list has peanuts on it. I have just read all 85 previous posts, and one mentioned that it might be sulfites I do not know if it registered with anyone else, but it did with me. Check out some of the lists of food that has sulfites and you will find that what you have been experiencing can all be caused by sulfites too! My last visit to the hospital, the young (know it all) Dr. said I had a throat infection, because I went to the hospital all calm and not freaking out. So they ignored me for hours (at least 3), then sent me home with a prescription for an infected throat. My regular doctor could not believe that they had treated me so casually, I had taken some Benadryl before going. It was such terrible treatment that I have not bothered anymore lately, I just load up on 3rd party Atarax, Reactin and time. Check out this most excellent web page, e-book about sulfites and see if maybe your daughter is sensitve to sulfites. http://members.aol.com/nosulfites/ I see thqt you are still eating things with corn syrup and corn starch, and your daughter is still reacting. BTW, Epi pens and a lot of asthma medications have some presence of sulfites. as do a lot of foods on the list on the nosulfites web page.

B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:24 am 

She was tested for sulfites and it was negative.

Self - Allergic to housework only

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:46 pm 

Hello Nicole, I was just at an allergist in November, and he said he knew of no tests for Sulfites. I told him how it was done for me in the 80's, and BTW I tested negative. However I have been to the hospital many times , and have had to rely on Atarax and Reactine when I consume some sulfites whether I know it or not. Easy test find something with sulfites, I could demonstrate at will with Gramma Lee's butter tarts (in late 80's only product that had sulfites in ingredient list). I would start a few little red spots within minutes, if I stopped eating any sulfites no joining of spots would occur.

B

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:05 am 

Our 6 year-old had an allergic reaction (severe hives, itchiness..) after she tasted salmon during a catered meal. She has had salmon many times before. Caterer said they use a commercial seasoning mix. Our daughter was tested at the Children's Hospital and results were negative for fish of various species.

We had a baby in December and during the winter break her dad took her to see Happy Feet and she had root beer and popcorn, both of which she has had many times before. About 30 minutes into the film, she began to cry and said she was beginning to itch everywhere. By the time we got to the hospital which was only 2 minutes away, she had hives everywhere, her face and ears were blood red and she was itchy all over. We have an appointment in March for further testing. She now carries an EpiPen. We are puzzled and concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:43 am 

Wow Eneumark! If I were you, I would try to obtain a sample of the commercial seasoning mix from the caterer to bring to the allergist, I would also investigate the popcorn ingredients and bring a sample of the actual theatre popcorn.

Try and find out as much as you can about the brand names and the ingredients, write to the companies like I did. They were very helpful and emailed/faxed me lists of ingredients that I could bring to the allergist. What caused my daughter's reaction is still a mystery, but at least I was armed when we went to the allergist. She was very interested and read and photocopied everything I brought her for the file.

Finding what a person is allergic to is an investigation, so the more info you have, the better. Insist on finding out what the exact spices the products contain.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:42 pm 
Site Admin

Eneumark,

Welcome to the boards. Boy, that's a tough one to investigate, but I agree with Nicole, I'd try to figure out potential targets. Some people do develop corn allergy, which can also be in additives and spices, there are several possiblilities.Best to find out ingreds and consult further with allergist on how/what to test.

On the fish test, if your daughter reacted to salmon, you may also want to ask your allergist about skin testing with actual salmon rather than the solution before fish is entirely ruled out. Some people (I'm one of them when it comes to shellfish) react strongly to actual foods when tested with those, but not to the commercial skin-test extracts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:25 pm 

Thank you for replying. They did test with actual salmon, as well as the extract, and eve a new blood test. Our daughter has has salmon and cod since, as well as popcorn, and corn niblets, and nada... no reaction. We are leaning to something in the commercial topping/seasoning. We will be bringing a sample of the theatres popcorn with us to the clinic appointment.

Montreal Parents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Eneumark,

Well - at least that's a few foods ruled out. Good that she can eat salmon.

Sometimes with allergies, it's like we need a private investigator's licence to get to the bottom. I hope something obvious will crop up to test in the ingreds. Best with it.