You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:54 pm 

I have planned and planned again and finally I have the answer. If anyone see a hole in my plan please point it out for me. Mind you I am going to stand firm on the ultimate allergies.

On the trip will be:
my mother (allergy to feathers and wool, sensitivity to eggs, dairy, wheat) She has to have her protein in the form of soy every morning. She also avoids red meat, corn and potato. Bonus though, she has promised to not eat nuts for a few days.
my oldest daughter (dairy is one of her seizure triggers and soy may contribute, otherwise sensitive to eggs and wheat) She has to have her almond milk every morning on her cereal. She has been told that she can't have nuts for a few days.
my second daughter (no food allergies)
my oldest son (no food allergies, but a very active gag reflex) he eats more than he used to, but still has trouble with chicken and cooked vegetables)
my granddaughter (allergic to dairy, soy, eggs, strawberries, mango, banana, tomato, kiwi, sesame, sensitive to rice and buckwheat, due to be challenged with gluten containing grains and sunflower.
myself (allergic to tree nuts and bananas, sensitive to eggs and dairy)

Confused? So am I!
So we are heading off in a van together for 6 days. I am the main driver and in charge of keeping everyone allergy happy.

Here is the plan:

No NUTS on the trip. I do not want to have to use my epi-pen.
I am bringing my campstove and all meals will be made in parks or roadside.
Some food items will be brought from home because I am unsure of availablity in some of the small towns along the way. Otherwise we will shop for each meal and have the cooler for leftovers. We will also be using paper plates and styrofoam bowls to reduce cross contamination.

Breakfasts will consist of a stirfry with chicken, and vegetables that resembles mock hash browns. I use rutabaga or cauliflower for this. There will be cereal for those that don't like this.

Lunches will consist of fish and vegetables with a salad and fresh fruit. We will find an alternative for my son at the grocery store.

The evening meal will consist of ground turkey or chicken with vegetables and salad for most of us. I will cook rice pasta for those who can handle it and my son will eat this as a burger without a problem.

For emergencies (no grocery store when we need to stop for a meal) I will be drying vegetables and carrying along some canned meats. For snacks my daughter will be making gluten/egg/dairy free snacks and bringing basic supplies to make more.

Now I just have to run a home trial on cooking time using my camp stove to see how it all goes.

Wish me luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:59 pm 

Good luck!! What a well planned trip. Sounds like *a lot* of work, but I suppose the important thing is that you all get to spend some time together...without worrying about trips to the hospital. I never would have thought of drying vegetables--do you have a machine or do you do it in the oven somehow?