You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:08 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Alberta
I was on holidays recently and had a tiny taste of lobster for supper. We went to bed shortly after and when I woke up the next morning my forehead was very swollen, throughout the day the swelling went down the side of my face. The next day my eye was swollen shut and my other eye was starting to go. I am not sure if it was the lobster but I can't think of anything else that would cause this. Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you in advance


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Fish & shellfish
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 22, 2005 3:42 pm
Posts: 2
You might wish to read my post on Sulphite allergy and the delayed reaction. Lobster and most shellfish is sulfited to prevent the black spots. Did you seek medical help?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Post topic
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:50 am
Posts: 205
Location: Canada
I have delayed reactions at times.
I am very allergic to Shellfish and other things.
I was once stung above my right eye and my eye swelled, my nose looked liked it was from a Bull. I was so upset and did get total medical help.
I also had delayed reaction to my allergiy shots and my lump on my arm would not go away for a month. My GP was very upset and I also had the tonque swelling so allergy shots for me.


Last edited by Kelly on Sun May 29, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:08 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Alberta
Hi, no I never went to the Dr. there. We were with a nurse, so she told me to just take Benadryl. My reaction lasted about 4 days.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:08 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Alberta
Hi I just read your post on sulfite allergies. I don't think that is what I have. I can eat dried fruit and drink wine with no problems. Thanks for your post!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:50 am
Posts: 205
Location: Canada
kerriku;
That was really scary what happened to you.
Will you have to keep a record of what you eat in case this happens again.?
I am anaphylathatic to all shellfish, lobster, shrimp, clams etc and fish.
I have known this since I was a child.
I would not worry about dried friut, I was trying to see if anyone else had that allergy.
I could not think what to say.
I quess a gentleman has the same allergy, I read his post also.So I am not the only one in the site that I know of with that allergy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:08 pm
Posts: 24
Location: Alberta
Hi, I am just going to stay away from all shellfish from now on!! They look disgusting anyways!!! I have not gone to see an allergist as my regular doctor said they won't see me unless it is bugging me constantly. Hopefully, I won't react again


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:53 pm
Posts: 1454
Location: Canada
I've heard that if you are allergic to one type of shellfish you should avoid all shellfish. I would probably just avoid all shellfish as well. But it sounds to me like your family doctor should refer you to an allergist if you would like to go to one---if your family doctor has prescribed an epipen and you are going to avoid all shellfish anyways, it doesn't matter all that much. If you don't have an epipen in my opinion you should definitely go to an allergist so you can get a diagnosis and a prescription. Also, there could be a chance that you might have reacted to something else. I'm not really sure about the differences between 'histamine poisoning' and an allergic reaction, but 'histamine poisoning' is common with shellfish (among people who are sensitive to histamine) that isn't 100% fresh and I believe that the symptoms are similar to an allergic reaction...but am not sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group