You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:14 pm 

I wonder... could you speak to a farmer about your situation and asked if there was anyone else who would be willing to split the amount with you, so that you wouldn't have to buy so much at once (e.g. just a bit of a side of beef instead of an entire side)? Or would there be a butcher who would be able to help out - maybe let you have beef that comes straight from the farm without any processing?

Just trying to "think outside the box" a bit...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:26 pm 

Yes, I have a contact for farm beef...but I still need to buy a minimum of 1/4 beef which amounts to almost 200 lbs. I have been buying my beef from her for several years now. Pork is a real problem...I haven't been able to find someone who has pork. I can live without pork. I buy my chickens from our local Hutterites. But, you know....it would be nice to just be able to pick up a fresh steak from the store for a quick meal. And...the chickens are roasting chickens...i.e. big, and not suitable for frying, etc.

More than anything, I want other people who are having unexplained problems with fresh (and frozen) store-bought meat to know what is being put on this meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:46 pm 

Here is a site that lists other uses for Citric Acid.

http://www.codexalimentarius.net/gsfaon ... tml?id=173

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:44 am 

Here is an excellent (and current) article about food allergies. Please note the section under Common Allergic Foods which states:

Based on our 20+ years of experience in food testing, we find the following:

Most Common (The Big 7): corn, eggs, milk (dairy), soy, sugar, wheat, yeast.
With the exception of milk (dairy) we find sugars and starches (grains) to be the most common allergic foods. This makes some sense when we realize that as mankind evolved these foods were the last to be introduced in our prehistoric diets and we therefore have had less time to learn to digest and assimilate them properly. Furthermore, today's American diet incorporates far more starch and sugars than 100 or even 50 years ago.

YET...CORN IS THE "LEAST" RECOGNIZED FOOD ALLERGY. I KNOW FIRST-HAND HOW MUCH CORN IS BEING PUMPED INTO OUR FOOD SUPPLY WITHOUT CONSIDERATION FOR THOSE OF US WHO ARE SEVERELY ALLERGIC TO IT AND ITS DERIVATIVES.

http://www.woodmed.com/FoodAllergy.htm

Post subject: CORN GLUTEN in pet food
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:46 pm 

I came across this site that discusses the recent deadly problems with pet food:

Note the following paragraph:

Corn. Corn meal or any variation of corn is CORN. Dogs have a hard time digesting corn. Several dogs develop skin allergies after eating corn over a long period of time. You will notice corn allergies by head shaking, butt biting, and endless scratching. Corn Gluten Meal is the cause of the recent Pet Food Recall.

It's bizarre that the symptoms of corn allergy are recognized in dogs...but not in humans. I guess we will have to evolve enough to include "butt biting"! Maybe then someone will listen to us!

http://hubpages.com/hub/What_Is_In_My_P ... d?comments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:34 pm 

Eldi wrote:
I guess we will have to evolve enough to include "butt biting"! Maybe then someone will listen to us!

too funny! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:46 pm 

I thought this was interesting...

http://individual.utoronto.ca/scharf/articles.htm

Note the paragraph at the very bottom:

<<Also of interest: "To date, no complementary or alternative diagnostic procedure can be recommended as a meaningful element in the diagnostic work-up of allergic diseases. This is especially true for food allergy: properly performed oral food challenges still represent the gold standard for implementing specific diets in food allergic individuals.">>

AND...

<<Corn allergy in Canada is uncommon but debilitating due to the ubiquity of corn products>>

Sigh...VERY debilitating!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:40 pm 

Here is some more interesting information about corn allergy:

http://www.otherinfo.org/index.php?titl ... _corn_free

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:34 am 

If anyone else with corn allergy is having trouble with refined cooking oil (I can only use extra virgin olive oil), here is a site that explains the use of citric acid as a degumming agent in refined cooking oils. It appears that the Canadian government has the patent to this horrible procedure!

http://patents1.ic.gc.ca/claims?patent_ ... anguage=EN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:06 pm 

Those resources are very helpful, thanks :) I do use some refined oil (I mostly use butter and olive oil, but I do use canola for the omega3s and safflower for the vitamin E). Fortunately, I'm not as sensitive to corn as some people, but it is good info. to have on hand in case I start reacting.

Post subject: Corn allergy BLOG
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:47 pm 

I came across this mother's BLOG about her corn allergic infant. My heart goes out to her...I can totally relate to what she is going through trying to figure this out!

http://todaysmodernmother.com/?cat=19

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:45 pm 

I wonder if that woman's doctor tested her son with just the chemical extract, or with the actual life food. My allergist had me bring in the actual foods I suspected when he testedme. He said some people don't react to the chemical extracts because it is the live proteins which cause the reaction. Sure enough, I tested negative to corn in its chemical extract form, but reacted very strongly when he did the prick test with mashed up real corn. Same thing with the apples, only a slight reaction on the prick test when he used the chemical sample, and a much stronger reaction to the actual, real apple. Regardless, she should not be afraid to stop feeding him corn if she thinks it's a problem for him. If not eating corn makes his skin clearer, it could be from an intolerance, which is different from an allergy but can still cause effects.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:55 pm 

Corn Allergy is extremely difficult to diagnose. See Dr. Janice Joneja's excerpt from Allergy Advisor:

C. Comments by our editors

Prof Janice M. Joneja Ph. D., RDN
It has been my experience through many years of managing food allergies and intolerances that adverse reactions to corn and corn derivatives are frequently undiagnosed, and the incidence of corn allergy is greatly underestimated. Because skin tests and tests for anti-corn antibodies in blood are generally negative, the assumption that corn allergy is uncommon has been made to the detriment of many corn-sensitive individuals - usually children. As this case study demonstrates, corn allergy is an example of a food allergy that can only be successfully and accurately identified by elimination and challenge. Corn is not unique in this respect since allergy to a number of foods is often overlooked because the standard allergy tests are negative. We have to keep in mind that because of the high incidence of false negative, and sometimes false positive results, estimates of the efficacy of skin and blood tests for food allergy never exceed 50%, and many practitioners rate them even lower. Even when a positive skin or blood test indicates the presence of anti-food IgE, elimination and challenge must be undertaken to demonstrate that the food does in fact cause clinical symptoms when it is consumed. It is more than probable that factors other than the presence of IgE (and/or IgG) antibodies, and reactive immune cells in the skin, are responsible for the expression of allergy. Until science is able to elucidate the precise mechanisms responsible for all types of clinical allergy, we must rely on carefully controlled elimination and challenge to accurately identify the foods responsible for the symptoms of allergy.

http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/March04.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:47 pm 

Here is a colourful site entitled "Tapping the Treasure". It lists thousands of uses for corn.

http://www.corn.org/Tapping2006.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:57 pm 

I'm a fan of Dr. Joneja's work----I've heard her interviewed on the CBC, and I like her book on _Dealing with Food Allergies_. impressed on both counts!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next