You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:26 pm 

Hi all,

I'm trying to get an idea of other people's restaurant practices. I realize some people never go to restaurants, and I completely respect that and don't mean to upset anyone.
I'm trying to expand our horizons a little teeny bit, I realize it can be dangerous territory, I am approaching with caution. If anyone could share your own restaurant practices, I would find it helpful.
If you do go to restaurants, how many people do you inform of your/your children's allergies?
Do you speak to the chef or cook directly?

Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:43 pm 

Hi Catherine,

On the few occasions that we have gone out we always ask to speak to the manager first.

We had an amazing experience at Eggspecation restaurant in Vaughn. When we asked our waiter to speak to the manager before he seated us he said sure but asked us what the problem was when we told him our daughter was severally allergic to peanuts he lifted is arm up and revealed his wrist which had a medic alert bracelet and stated with a smile "Me too". He told us not to worry and was just fantastic. We still talked to the manager and even the chef I still wanted to cover all our bases.

But I should add not all places are so understanding.

Take care,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:09 pm 

We went to Tuckers Marketplace in Mississauga, and they were AWESOME!! The chef came out, and took me on a tour of each area of food to tell me what my dd could and could not eat. And he told me that they had special nut free desserts in the back, not on display, specially for people with allergies, to just ask when we were ready. I would highly recommend that place!

Post subject: Tuckers Marketplace?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:13 am 

Interesting about Tuckers Marketplace. I've always avoided it because it's a buffet restaurant and I worry about cross-contamination. I will check with my local one but can you tell me if there were any dishes with nuts/peanuts?

Post subject: restruants
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:36 am 

I personally am anaphylactic to treenuts. I rarley go out to restruants but these are the steps I take:

-Check the website
-Phone up, and ask them to prepare your food completley seperatly
-Check when you get their
-Only eat simple, pure and foods you have had before (chips, veg, chicken, cheese etc)
-always have your epipen with you.
-never eat puddings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:20 pm 

Hi All,
When I go out to eat I do the following:
1. Call ahead to check on several allergy questions: latex use?, balloons?, and garnishes they use? do they allow substitutions?
2. Check out the menu to get a planed meal
3. Check with the chef re: planned meal versus allergens listed on a laminated card I carry in my purse with possible other names for the allergens
4. If they can't take the time before I arrive, I find a restaurant that will take the time.
I have had chef's offer a tour and an opportunity to review the kitchen prior to my actual visit or before ordering.
5. If I'm in doubt, I ask to go into the kitchen to check the list of ingredients myself or tell them thank-you very much and leave.

With anaphtlactic allergies to items not in the "top Ten" it is difficult to get answers as most restaurants are prepared to answer questions for the top ten only.
Allergies: Natural Latex Rubber, kiwi, mango, avocado, gelatin, Oral Allergy Syndrome (grass, ragweed, & birch families)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:21 pm 

I'm a bit bold because we've done a lot of traveling in the past and although we usually take food with us for our daughter we want to include her in as much as we can. I've often asked to speak to the kitchen staff and check labels, etc at the door of the kitchen to make it easier. I am insistent on this if the wait staff doesn't seem to understand or finds it all a bother.

I've often found worried chefs invite me into the kitchen and ask me if I think where they are cooking is safe and if I feel comfortable or not. We usually feel more confident that our daughter's meal will be made with the utmost of care in these situations.

When we've travelled abroad and there is a language barrier we take a small sheet of paper (we keep several copies of this handy) listing allergies, kitchen concerns such as cross contamination, etc. This helps when talking to chefs who don't know what you're talking about to begin with.

If a kitchen staff seems at all indignant about helping or wanting to keep her meal safe we usually just leave.