You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:41 am 
Site Admin

I found this article interesting. They speak equally against the use of food and stickers. They raise some good points about what external rewards really teach our children.
http://www.canadianparents.ca/CPO/Schoo ... 69316.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:20 am 

that's a really interesting article, it makes some excellent points, and got me thinking about the whole "reward" system for the stickers thing i loved getting stickers not because i liked the reward cause i collected them when i was younger

two things it didn't mention, first the effect of a child who is trying, but still sturggling NOT getting anything for his/her efforts, my mother was always one of those parents who thought the coments from teachers were more important then grades, which taught us that trying our best was more important than being the best.

second, a constant reward system will NOT get a person ready to be in the real world, esp the work place, cause getting a reward for doing well on everything won't happen, it takes a lot of hard work to get a reward (such as a raise, a promotion ect)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:38 am 

That's a fantastic article! We should all copy it and hand it to our school principals who, in turn, should hand it to all the teachers and parents.

It's quite an eye opener.

I have to admit I do reward my kids too at times, but I also tell them that hard work is its own reward.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:56 pm 

Here's a llink to a book review of a book that addresses similar concerns
http://www.educationreformbooks.net/punished.htm

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

I find this a really interesting topic. Not sure if I'm against rewards in the younger grades per se, e.g. stickers, though the authors make some good points.

More and more I find hypocrisy in the emphasis on kids and obesity in our society, while at every turn kids are asked to participate in special 'treat days' at school or have teachers offering them goodies. I think concerns about allergy dovetaii nicely with concerns about children and healthy diets.

I don't think kids have to have food in class. I think it's just crept in and become a habit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:06 pm 

Why do rewards need to be food? My son gets rewarded by his teacher with a trip to the treasure box (items include candy, stickers, pencils, erasers, small toys) or he can get 20 minutes of computer time. We are working really hard at getting him over some difficulties. Through the week he gets check-marks if he succeeds at certain things. At the end of the week if he has them all he gets a reward at school, and one at home. The first term, his reward at home was doing a science experiment. He is no longer being rewarded for the same things, since they are no longer a problem. Or at least, they are not consistently a problem. Taking them off the *reward list* has not taken away his drive to be successful in those areas though.

Rewards can work if they are done properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:39 pm 

I agree with Annmarie, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. I do a lot of work in this area, and the research is clear that rewards and consequences are both powerful in shaping behavior. What most teachers don't seem to get- and this is evidenced in the article- rewards are suppose to be used consistently in the beginning to shape behavior and then over time they should switch from continuous to more intermittent rewards. So a child eventually shouldn't expect a reward after EVERY good behavior.

I also agree that we rely too much on tokens in the classrooms. IF not done properly, kids do become too dependent on external reinforcement. But given praise is actually the most powerful reward, there is no real need to rely on food rewards to change behavior. :wink:

Me allergy to morphine only