You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:00 am 

Hi There,

I'm new here and happy to have come across this forum. I'm adult (39) with an allergy to all nuts except soya.
I have never had an anaphylactic reaction involving my throat closing but have had numerous bouts of hives in the mouth and sever throwing up and stomach pain followed by an all over body rash/hives that lasted several days.
I have heard from one doctor that this is a form of anaphylaxis but in the digestive tract. I don't know if anyone has heard of this?
I hve had this reaction numerous times and eventually figured out that it was due to a spice - Nutmeg which most people don't consider to be a nut. It's one of those hidden ingredients that comes under the general label of spices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:19 pm 

hi and welcome to the board :)

Yes, I've heard of GI anaphylaxis. But it sounds to me like you have regular ol' anaphylaxis (because of the total body hives). Also, I didn't realise that people with "GI anaphylaxis" got hives in the mouth? (I thought it was vomiting only, but I may be wrong on that.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:27 am 

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your response. That is very interesting information. I don't know what 'ol' anaphylaxsis is?

I always wondered if I would get the throat closing because of the hives which are usually one or two large ones that appear on the lips. I don't get both reactions at the same time it is true - I have always thought of the lip hives (and a hot red face) as a kind of early warning system. When these symptoms occur I spit out what ever food is in my mouth and immediately brush mt teeth and wash my mouth out and take benadryl liquid, and that works. Other more rare times it seems like my early warning system doesn't kick in and I get the stomach reaction and all over body rash. I've only had that kind of reaction maybe 5 times. My doctor gave me an epi pen perscription just incase things progress in a different way at some point.
I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:46 am 

Actually, I don't think nutmeg is a nut --- it's a seed. (Peanut isn't a nut either, it's a legume.) Mace comes from the same plant as nutmeg, so you might want to be careful with that as well.

Anaphylaxis is usually considered any two body systems involved in a reaction -- or just one if it is affecting breathing or causing a drop in blood pressure. Your reactions definitely do sound like anaphylactic.

Helen, GI anaphylaxis does not always go with hives in the mouth. it can be vomiting, diarreah, hives on the body, swelling of internal organs. Pretty much whatever the heck it feels like being. :?

Sandra, when your doctor gave you the prescription did he show you how to use the epi-pen? Read the directions that came with it, and make sure other adults that spend a lot of time with you also read them. You don't want time wasted if you ever actually need it. You can also get an epi-trainer from Anaphylaxis Canada - costs about $10 with shipping and handling. It is like an epi-pen but has no medicine and no sharpie. If what you have is actually a Twinject, I think you can get the demonstrator for free from the company. When your epi-pen expires you can also practice with it, by injecting an orange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:00 am 

To learn more about the basics of anaphylaxis I would recommend the site: www.allergysafecommunities.ca Anaphylaxis like AnnaMarie says is a severe allergic reaction that involves 2 or more body systems. Allergists have told us that reactions can be different each time and that there is no way to prediction the severity of the next reaction. Anaphylaxis Canada uses the phrase "Think F.A.S.T." to remember symptoms of a reaction.
F = is symptoms around the face (swelling, hives)
A= is for airway (wheezing, coughing)
S= is for stomach (vomiting, cramping, diaheria(spelling?)
T= is for total body (hives, sense of doom, unconsciousness)
Check out the Anaphylaxis Canada website.
Good luck,
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:02 pm 

Hi Sandra, I just meant "good old anaphylaxis" i.e. just regular anaphylaxis :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:47 pm 

You can now get the EpiPen trainer for free from King Pharma - the new Canadian distributors.

Go to www.epipen.ca or see http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1527 for more contact details.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:24 am 

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your responses and esp the tip on mace. There are so many variations and differences between each person it's so hard to predict what will happen. Best to be prepared for anything!