Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I'm back
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:11 pm 

Hi all!

I've neglected to post here for about a year since I bought my house. I've been too busy fixing things to post anymore. However, in the past few months, I have developped new health problems and tomorrow, I'm going for a gastrointestinal test that should reveal, based on symptons and the doctor's initial assement, that on top of my allergies to peanuts and tree nut, I now have celiac disease.

I've been researching stuff on the Web and I found it's very difficult to find Gluten free product that are also peanut free. I thought that already having many allergies, one deadly one (peanuts and tree nuts) and not liking to eat much, that I would be better prepare to handle the situation. Unfortunately, for the past week, I have been feeling really depressed looking through my pantry and seeing all that I won't be able to eat anymore, should the test turn positive tomorrow.

Therefore, I decided it was time for me to come back here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:09 pm 

Welcome back Vader. I know how you feel about being to busy to post. Sometimes I find it hard to keep up with the forum...but somehow I always do.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Good to hear from you Vader,

Though I'm really sorry to hear about the celiac likelihood. Allergic Living has started to include celiac stories in its coverage - because it, too, is becoming such an issue for so many.

In the course of researching, we find Shelley Case's Gluten-Free Diet book very useful - fabulous charts on what is and isn't allowed on the diet. She has recently become one of our columnists, too. You can find her first column on the "Columns" page (access from the AL homepage). A link for her book is shown at the end of the column.

You'll also find Shauna James's "Gluten-Free Girl" under Columns. We've only just started with Shauna as well, but her recipes are wonderful and she has a recipe book coming out in the fall. Should be helpful to you in finding things that are both good tasting and safe.

Best with it. These transitions are tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:09 pm 

Hi Vader.

I was thinking about you recently -- hoping your disappearance from the board meant things were going well for you.

When is your doctor's appointment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:25 pm 

Welcome back Vader -- congrats on your new home! Good luck at your appointment tomorrow -- I've got my fingers crossed for you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:40 pm 

Thanks all for your support.

The appointment is at 2pm. I'M leaving in on hour and I'm starting to be really nervous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:16 pm 

hi youngvader, welcome back :) I was actually diagnosed with celiac this summer . . . I'm lucky that it was caught because my symptoms weren't severe (especially because I'd been wheat free for a number of years and was getting residual gluten only from oats).

I hope the test went well. Going gluten free *is* a *huge* adjustment . . .but if you do have celiac it could be life-changing in a good way.

Last edited by Helen on Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:00 pm 

Hi Youngvader! It's nice to hear from you again. Congratualtions on being a homeowner! I've wondered what had happened to you and hoped all was well. How did your test go today? It's not nice to hear that you may have additional health concerns. I've found this forum to be my life-line, and that's the honest truth, so if your diagnosis does come back positive, you will certainly find lots of helpful and understanding people here.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 pm 

Hi youngvader -

I don't think I was the moderator when you were last here on the forum - or I'd only recently started. Sorry to hear that you're having ongoing health issues, but hopefully you're on your way to finding some answers.

Let us know how it went today.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:59 pm 

The test was pretty rough since (this is what the doctor told me afterwards) my oesophagus and my stomach are swollen and irriteated. He took 10 samples that he sent to the lab for analysis. It will take about a month before we have all the results. Based on what he has seen, he's more leaning towards Crohn disease than Celiac at this point but like he said, we need to wait to see the result of the lab anaylisis and we'll take it from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:38 pm 

Sorry it was so rough.... I hope you get a concrete diagnosis out of it all.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:01 am 

Sorry to hear that---I hope you were sedated enough that the procedure wasn't distressing at the time. . . and that your throat wasn't too sore afterwards.

Crohn's can be / is really tough to deal with, I know. Keep us posted.

Did you continue to eat gluten up until the test? I'm asking because sometimes doctors forget to tell their patients not to make dietary changes until after the test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:59 am 

Yup, he told me not to change anything so he could test correctly.

No, I was not sedated and yeah, my throat hurt when I was swallowing a couple of days after. Overall, it was not that bad, but it's no fun either.

Still waiting. My appointment to discuss the results is April 16. Until then, waiting. Meanwhile, I have pills to reduce the acidity in my stomach and anti-inflammatories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:09 am 

When my son was tested for celiac the doctor also never told me to take him off wheat. He had a blood test and x-rays done. We were fortunate that was all he needed to discover his problem (not celiac).

I think advising to eliminate wheat is done when the doctor strongly suspects it's the cause -- and in my son's case it was not a strong suspicion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:38 pm 

AM - maybe I'm misreading your post and what you meant, but my understanding is that if celiac is suspected and they're doing scopes for it, they want you to still be consuming wheat and other grains with gluten up until the test/scope, because they want to see what damage has been done (to the villi, I believe)... If you remove gluten from your diet and your body starts healing, the scope won't show all the damage being done internally.

Those of you who are more knowledgeable about celiac - is this the case? Ideally you consume gluten right until the scope is done, right? (Ideally for the purposes of the scope, not ideally for your health...)

K.