You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: campbells mushroom soup
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:54 am 

I was just wondering. My daughter has a severe allergy to cashews and pistachios. She has been having a rash off and on for awhile, it took awhile but i think i figured it out and it might have to do with mushroom soup which she really likes. Last night and today she had mushroom soup. Today she had a really bad rash. Just wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this or what. Wasn't sure where to post it but tried here. We have already changed her soap and she seemed to be fine and this is the only common denominator i can figure out. Mostly because she was really complaining about it hurting today and she was scratching like crazy. Thanks for any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:21 pm 

I'd like to think that Campbell's wouldn't have those ingreds in their soup but one should never assume. It's also possible that your daughter has developed another allergy...

You could try to call Campbells but I have yet to meet anyone in Canada who has had luck getting ingredients info out of them (including my allergist for another patient). If you call them let me know how that goes.

In the meantime, I assume you will be keeping her away from the soup. If you strongly feel that the soup is causing the reaction and you are positive that the only allergies that your DD has is cashews and pistachios, you could call the CFIA to have them test the soup (assuming that you still have some of the soup...).

K.

(P.S. I have deleted all your duplicate posts.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:26 pm 

Momof1g, Would you be able to post the ingredients as listed on the label? Maybe one of the ingredients might trigger some thoughts from the group.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:03 am 

Some other people in the US have had problems with Campbells (might not apply, however, to Campbell's in Canada).

See: http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutal ... 09036.html

There's a link to another thread as well.

I would expect that the soups would be more of a concern with egg allergy/soy allergy/lentil/legume allergy. But one never knows with allergies. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:15 am 

The ingredients are water, fresh mushrooms, canola or soybean oil, enriched wheat flour, fresh cream, corn starch salt, whey powder, soy protein isolate, monosodium glutamate, tomato paste, calcium caseinate(a milk protein), spice, yeast extract, and garlic powder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:23 pm 

Are you sure she's not allergic to milk or soy or wheat? If you're sure she's not, then how about yeast or tomato? Then MSG...

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:01 am 

Helen wrote:
Some other people in the US have had problems with Campbells (might not apply, however, to Campbell's in Canada).

See: http://uumor.pair.com/nutalle2/peanutal ... 09036.html

There's a link to another thread as well.

Wow - Campbell's in the U.S. does not come off looking very good in the thread in the peanutallergy forum.... Kind of mind-boggling that they won't return calls from the US FDA. :shock:

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:55 am 
Site Admin

Are you allowed to not return phone calls? I would think the FDA would have the abillity to shut a food manufacturer down.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:21 pm 

If it's anything I eat Campbell's cream of mushroom ALL THE TIME and I'm ana to all nuts (including cashews and pistachios).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:07 pm 

I read through the list of ingredients - thanks for posting. It is difficult to determine if there is something in the soup that could be the trigger - there are a few possibilites. Now that she's not eaten it for a few days, do you find her symptoms have cleared up? Does your daughter eat these ingredients in anything else? Does she drink milk? What about MSG? what about tomatoes? what about soy? what about the "spices"? (I'm asking about spices because my son is allergic to mustard and it is not required in labeling and will appear in the general "spices" listing). I wish I could help you further.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:52 pm 

We no longer use Campbells in our house based on how "unhelpful" they were with me when I called. IF DD outgrows we will STILL not use their products. BAD SERVICE.

Taylor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:37 am 

I hav not given her any more mushroom soup and she has cleared up completely. She drinks milk all the time and there is no problem. So now i think it will be where i have to break it down in the ingredients to see what it is that is causing it. Thanks for the link it was very informative. I just now have to figure out totally what is causing it. My daughter is not to happy because i have told her no more mushroom soup and it is her favorite kind of soup. Thanks for all the help and i will keep you updated on what i find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:41 pm 

Why not try another brand?

Imagine soups are much better about their labelling:

http://www.imaginefoods.com/products/ca ... cat_id=208

(Unless of course she is allergic to mushrooms, in which case you are out of luck...)

In Ottawa/Gatineau, I find this brand in our local Loblaws and in health food stores.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:59 pm 

It is quite possible your daughter has developed an allergy to mushrooms.

I used to be able to eat mushrooms and then one day (in my early teens) I got an itchy rash after eating a meal containing mushrooms. I figured out I developed an allergy to mushrooms after a few times of eating food and getting the itchy rash. Black mushrooms, canned button mushrooms, any kind of mushroom. Each time the rash was worse leading to hives and then wheezing. Btw I Iove cashews and pistachios and luckily I am not allergic to nuts of any kind. I just avoid mushrooms as much as possible. For me it seems okay as long as I don't eat the pieces of mushroom (if they are cooked with the food and can be removed easily) but I generally avoid mushroom sauces/gravies.

Allergies are a funny thing. They can develop anytime and often to the foods you love to eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:31 pm 

Somethings changed in Campbell soups. I always was able to eat them and now I can't.
They have added some additive that I cannot tolerate. Worst part they didn't include it in the ingredients listed.