You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:38 am 

It is so difficult to find a safe source for alternative grains to wheat. Oak Manor has a line of products.....not sure what all they sell, but I buy their millet and creamy brown rice cereal. Their products are manufactured in a **peanut-free, tree nut free, soy free facility** :) While their products don't come into contact with nuts once they reach them, they can't guarantee that the farms are nut free....but I guess no one can guarantee that. They sound very allergy aware. Plus their food is locally grown and produced....and all their products are organic and reasonably priced.

They have a disclaimer on their rice cereal though for people with celiac disease--They process rice products with the same equipment as products containing gluten. While they carefully clean the equipment, they can't guarantee that it is 100% gluten free.

Loblaws (in Ontario at least) is supposed to sell their products, but I've never seen them at my local Loblaws. Apparently one can order their products through Loblaws. I'll have to check this out.

In case anyone wants to contact Oak Manor:

Oak Manor Farms
R.R.1, Tavistock, Ontario,
Canada, N0B 2R0
(519) 662-2385

Last edited by Helen on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Another Source
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:35 pm 

Lisa, I just got a package from a company in Saskatchewan and was thrilled because the company told me they do not process or package nuts. I got wild rice, flax seeds, quinoa, wheat berries and amaranth flour. They also have other products you may be interested in. Their website is www.quinoa.com/index.html

I'm not sure if this is the type of thing you are looking for, but their prices are great.

Soccermom

Post subject: Another Source
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:36 pm 

Lisa, I just got a package from a company in Saskatchewan and was thrilled because the company told me they do not process or package nuts. I got wild rice, flax seeds, quinoa, wheat berries and amaranth flour. They also have other products you may be interested in. Their website is www.quinoa.com/index.html

I'm not sure if this is the type of thing you are looking for, but their prices are great.

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:00 am 

Soccermom,

Thanks very much! This does sound like what I'm looking for....can't access the website at the moment..it seems to be down, but I'll definitely want to look into this. I've never tried amaranth before but have been wanting to.