You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:04 pm 

Thanks Storm, so I guess they expect that you'll get bottled water or other refreshments on the flight? Wow --
I didn't see any restrictions with regards to food items, that's not a problem, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:33 am 

ethansmom,

The restrictions are only for liquids. Also, any liquids you buy at the airport (after you go through security) are allowed on the flights.

If you want to bring food into another country, you would need to check the regulations of the country you are going to (but basically fruit, veg and fresh meat are a no-no). For consumption on the plane (as lunch or dinner) I think anything is OK but best to check with the airline first. I've had no problems bringing sandwiches and packaged foods on flights. If you are going to pack fruit and vegetables or dairy products (such as yogurt) to eat on the plane and then don't get around to eating them, dispose of them before you exit the plane or you may be stopped at customs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:56 pm 

Thanks again Storm -- I used to occasionally fly for work (and pleasure) before my son was born but it seems like a lifetime ago. There's so much that I forget about flying!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:36 pm 

Just thought I would give an update on our disney cruise. We just returned and it was heaven on earth for travelling with food allergies. I could not have asked for more. When we arrived I was told to talk to our head waiter who would be with us at each meal. Every evening I would pre-order food for the next day for my son, whatever we wanted. The awareness of cross-contamination was unbelievable. If they had any doubt as to safety they made a fresh order. We had a dairy, egg, and nut free birthday cake made for my son. From other threads there is a discussion about Divies a company in the states that does egg, dairy and nut free treats such as candy, cookies, and candy coated popcorn. The head server came with handfuls of treats for my son at each meal. As many of you can appreciate we frequently see our kids have to go without as other kids enjoys simple pleasures such as an icecream cone. We were able to sit on an isalnd in the Bahama's with my son licking his safe soy icecream, that was sent onto the island by the disney staff. I really did have tears in my eyes on many occassions because I truly never thought such as vacation would be possible for my family. Everyone from the child care staff to the waiters was incredibly allergy aware. On top of the allergy awareness the trip itself was fabulous.
Stephanie

5 year old- eggs, nuts, fish, peas, environmental, and asthma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:01 pm 

That's great news. Thanks for posting. What kind of soy ice cream was it? Did they make it or was it a widely available brand?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:36 pm 

Saskmommy,
Before the trip I requested Tofutti products and they were able to get these for me. I understand though that you can request products be sent to thie ship prior to sailing if there is a particular brand that you are comfortable with.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Disney truly is magical! :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:25 pm 

I'm so happy to hear that you had such a great time! I think I'll start saving my pennies today... 8)
by the way...were you and Patty able to meet up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:11 am 

Ethansmom,
No it never seemed to happen. It was so busy before the cruise I never had a chance to arrange it with her. Patti, I would love to hear your experience.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:23 pm 

Just got back from a Disney cruise, and I had a similiar experience to Stephanie's. My server was amazing--my hubby was worried I would get a crush on him!! He was so attentive to my nut allergy and always checked things out for me. He would bring my meal, saying 'This is safe for you, Madame", which is great. Sometimes in a restaurant, when a server brings a meal for me, and just plops it on the table without saying anything, I always worry whether they actually checked.

As well, once the server found out I liked fish, he would often speak to me the night before saying, " How about I get you such and such tomorrow," and he would ask what I would like for veggies etc. The next night, it would be ready for me. Twice, it was something that wasn't even on the menu. He was Indian, and had a beautiful curry prepared for me that was awesome, and so authentic tasting--one of the meals not on the menu. He also brought me special nut-free desserts after consulting on my likes and dislikes, which was nice because I never get dessert out! This man gave me excellent service the entire time.

The first day I had lunch at the buffet, and the chef came out to tell me the meals I could eat. As well, when we had table service for lunch or breakfast without our usual server, almost every single server would ask us when arriving, "Are there any allergies or concerns at this table? All in all, a great experience.