You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The evil birch tree
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:39 am 

Hello, first time poster, wasn't sure of the correct area to post in, but this area looks fine. Anyways, my girl is very allergic to birch trees, it gets to the point where her eyes swell, her nose itch and run, and she also has trouble breathing. She gets ichy genreally all around, and simply scratching will make her feel worse, and more in pain. We've tried multiple products, but nothing seems to ease it enough to the point where its bareable for her, at least to stop the itching/breathing problem would be nice.

Is there any product someone knows of, perhaps someone that has the same problem with birch trees, that knows of a product that works 'specifically for birch trees' well? I was searching about and stumbled on here, so I might as well ask some people who may know!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:04 am 

Have you talked to your allergist about desensitization shots? I'm not actually sure if it exists for birch but it would be worth investigating. My own allergist (and others I've heard from) are very enthusiastic about the benefits for those with environmental allergies and with insect-sting allergies.

The trouble breathing sounds quite worriesome. Is it considered asthma (triggered by her pollen allergy)?

Sorry I don't have a specific product to suggest. Have you asked your allergist? It might be a combo of things like an antihistamine and an inhaled corticosteroid like Nasonex, but I would definitely consult with an allergist.

K.

Last edited by KarenOASG on Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:16 pm 

I began getting 'springtime' allergic symptoms a few years ago, but brushed it off as a lingering cold- until last year it became unbearable. I then clued to the fact that my sneezing, runny nose, itching eyes, severe congestion and general malaise was caused by the pollen that is released in massive amounts in spring. I discovered through research that it is the alder and birch trees that are the biggest offenders. I tried a couple of OTC products, but it wasn't doing the trick, so I went to see a naturopath, and she put me on something called Sterol 117. It's all-natural, has no contraindications, and most of all - it worked!!!
I started off by taking 3 in one day, and by the next day, I felt like a normal person. It is supposed to be taken every day (just one per day), but now I find that it works even if I don't take it every single day. I'm pretty sure it's safe for kids- but you would have to open up the capsule and just sprinkle half of the contents into a glass of juice for them to take it. Another benefit from taking it is that I have not had a single cold sore since (i used to get a couple per year), and I also take a few capsules when I feel like I am starting to get a cold or flu, and it holds those off too!

Post subject: The evil birch tree
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:45 am 

I've had severe allergies to alder and birch for several years now. Last year my doctor prescribed a nasal corticosteroid (Nasonex), and the troublesome symptoms have all disappeared.

See the following link for more information:
http://health.yahoo.com/topic/allergy/m ... e/hw120802

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:38 pm 

While I realize that they do offer prompt relief, I'm not conviced that corticosteroids are truly safe. I have read that they can have serious side-effects and can even suppress the immune system in the long term. That is why I chose to go the route of using natural substances (and not transformed from their original state) to heal myself. I found by doing so, I experienced side-benefits and not side-effects.