You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:11 pm 

Le texte français suit le texte anglais.

ALLERGY ALERT - UNDECLARED MILK, SOY, SULPHITES, PEANUTS AND WHEAT IN TICKLEBERRY'S CHOCOLATE COVERED DRIED FRUIT PRODUCTS

OTTAWA, March 28, 2007 - The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and Tickleberry's are warning people with allergies to milk, soy, sulphites, peanuts and wheat proteins not to consume Tickleberry's Chocolate Covered Dried Fruit products described below. The affected products contain milk, soy, sulphites, peanuts and wheat which are not declared on the label.

The following Tickleberry's Chocolate Covered Dried Fruit products, sold in 100 g packages, are affected by this alert. These products have been distributed nationally.

Product
Undeclared Allergen

Chocolate Dried Blueberries
Milk, Soy, Peanuts

Chocolate Dried Cherries (Pastel)
Milk, Soy

Chocolate Dried Cherries (Dark)
Milk, Soy, Sulphites

Chocolate Dried Strawberries
Milk, Soy

Chocolate Dried Raspberries
Milk, Soy

Chocolate Dried Apricots
Milk, Soy, Sulphites, Wheat

Chocolate Dried Cranberries
Milk, Soy

Chocolate Dried Cranberries (White)
Milk, Soy

Chocolate Cherry, No Sugar Added
Milk, Soy

There have been no reported illnesses associated with the consumption of these products.

Consumption of these products may cause a serious or life-threatening reaction in persons with allergies to milk, soy, sulphites, peanut and wheat proteins.

The manufacturer, Tickleberry's, Okanagan Falls, British Columbia is voluntarily recalling the affected products from the marketplace. The CFIA is monitoring the effectiveness of the recall.

For more information, consumers and industry can call one of the following numbers:

Dale Hoy at Tickleberry's
250-490-5281

CFIA at 1-800-442-2342 / TTY 1-800-465-7735 (8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern time, Monday to Friday).

For information on Milk, Soy, Sulphites, Peanuts and Wheat , five of the nine most common food allergens, visit the Food Allergens web page at www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fssa/labet ... erge.shtml.

For information on receiving recalls by e-mail, or for other food safety facts, visit our web site at www.inspection.gc.ca.

- 30 -

Media enquiries:

Dale Hoy at Tickleberry's
250-490-5281

Shashi Kulkarni (English)
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Food Recall and Emergency Response
613-368-1622

Julie Lacoursière (French)
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Food Recall and Emergency Response
613-760-4044

ALERTE À L'ALLERGIE - PRÉSENCE NON DÉCLARÉE DE LAIT, DE SOJA, DE SULFITES, D'ARACHIDES ET DE BLÉ DANS LES FRUITS SECS RECOUVERTS DE CHOCOLAT DE MARQUE TICKLEBERRY'S

OTTAWA, le 28 mars 2007 - L'Agence canadienne d'inspection des aliments (ACIA) et Tickleberry's avisent les personnes allergiques au lait, au soja, aux sulfites, aux arachides et aux protéines de blé de ne pas consommer les fruits secs recouverts de chocolat de marque Tickleberry's décrits ci-dessous. En effet, ces produits contiennent du lait, du soja, des sulfites, des arachides et du blé alors que l'étiquette n'en fait pas mention.

Les fruits secs recouverts de chocolat suivants de marque Tickleberry's, vendus en emballages de 100 g, sont visés par la mise en garde. Les produits ont été distribués à l'échelle nationale.

Produit
Allergène non déclaré

« Chocolate Dried Blueberries »
Lait, soja et arachides

« Chocolate Dried Cherries (Pastel) »
Lait et soja

« Chocolate Dried Cherries (Dark) »
Lait, soja et sulfites

« Chocolate Dried Strawberries »
Lait et soja

« Chocolate Dried Raspberries »
Lait et soja

« Chocolate Dried Apricots »
Lait, soja, sulfites et blé

« Chocolate Dried Cranberries »
Lait et soja

« Chocolate Dried Cranberries (White) »
Lait et soja

« Chocolate Cherry, No Sugar Added »
Lait et soja

Aucun cas de maladie associé à la consommation de ces produits n'a été signalé.

La consommation de ces produits peut déclencher une réaction grave, voire mortelle, chez les personnes allergiques au lait, au soja, aux sulfites, aux arachides et aux protéines de blé.

Le fabricant, Tickleberry's, situé à Okanagan Falls (Colombie-Britannique), retire volontairement du marché les produits visés. L'ACIA surveille l'efficacité du rappel.

Pour de plus amples renseignements, les consommateurs et les gens de l'industrie peuvent composer l'un des numéros suivants :

Dale Hoy, Tickleberry's
250-490-5281

l'ACIA au 1-800-442-2342/ATS 1-800-465-7735, du lundi au vendredi de 8 h à 20 h (heure de l'Est).

Pour obtenir des renseignements sur le lait, le soja, les sulfites, les arachides et le blé, cinq des neuf allergènes alimentaires les plus courants, consultez la page Web consacrée aux allergènes alimentaires à www.inspection.gc.ca/francais/fssa/labe ... ergf.shtml.

Pour savoir comment recevoir les rappels par courrier électronique ou pour obtenir d'autres renseignements sur la salubrité des aliments, visitez notre site Web à l'adresse www.inspection.gc.ca.

- 30 -

Questions des médias :

Dale Hoy, Tickleberry's
250-490-5281

Julie Lacoursière (français)
Agence canadienne d'inspection des aliments Rappels d'aliments et Mesures d'urgence
613-760-4044

Shashi Kulkarni (anglais)
Agence canadienne d'inspection des aliments Rappels d'aliments et Mesures d'urgence
613-368-1622

The FOODRECALLS_RAPPELSALIMENTS archives all list postings at:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/cor ... toce.shtml

You can join or leave a variety of e-mail lists managed by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency using the on-line form found at:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/too ... sube.shtml

La liste FOODRECALLS_RAPPELSALIMENTS archive tous les enregistrements de listes à :
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/francais/co ... tocf.shtml

Vous pouvez vous inscrire à une variété de listes courriels administrées par l'Agence canadienne d'inspection des aliments au moyen du formulaire en ligne affiché à l'adresse suivante : http://www.inspection.gc.ca/francais/to ... subf.shtml.
Le même formulaire vous permet de retrancher votre nom de ces listes.

Post subject: OK this is weird
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:14 pm 

I went to the One of a Kind Show in Toronto on March 29th and near the end of my couple of hours at this fabulous craft show my friend stopped off at the Tickleberry's booth.

She was offered a sample of their product and she ate one and I was offered one and declined politely with a "No thank you."

I got attitude when I said that and just bit my tongue because I figured it was after nine at night and he had probably been on his feet all day at this trade show. He said "huh" (without the question mark) and kind of looked the other way.

Now I have a food intolerance to milk and milk products but didn't bother to include that in my no thanks message because I didn't feel that it was necessary.

Now that I see this post on their recall I really wish I had said something! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:12 am 

Interesting... I hope they weren't giving away the stuff that had been recalled! You like to think they wouldn't be...

K.

Post subject: Yeah I'm not sure
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:11 pm 

I'm hoping that they had the A-OK product with them.

I certainly can't say either way and won't even venture to guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:26 am 

I'm not sure what triggers the CFIA to get involved (unless there has been a reaction or incident to start the ball rolling), but I would guess that if they went to any one of the hundreds of craft shows happening around the country, that they would find that 90% of the "manufacturers" aka cottage industries don't follow the labeling laws and have either cross-contaminated foods or ingredient lists that are inaccurate. No facts, just my gut!

I'm not talking about the Baba's making perogies for the church sale or school bands making cookies for their band trip - those would be an obvious NO zone for anyone with food allergies and I doubt there is any governing body overseeing that.

Eventhough I don't have food alleriges, I never eat at craft sales. The thought of grabbing a pretzel stick or mini cracker from a basket where thousands of people have before me and trying some room temperature dip or spread just grosses me out! Of course, I also don't partake in any in-store sampling either. I'm there to shop - not eat - and the line ups for the hordes of people waiting for freebees just gets on my nerves.

I like the fact that at least at the Tickeleberry station they hand you individually one of their products from a spoon. I asked one time (mostly just curious about their answer) about peanut/nut cross-contam and they said yes, there would be possible exposure. I appreciated the straightforward response - but not the $7.00 price tag!