You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergy Friendly Sofa?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:59 pm 

We are trying to reduce asthma and allergy triggers in our home and we are now looking at replacing our old sofa in the family room. It is a typical fabric covered sofa with foam cushions. It has been moved to 3 different apartments and then to our home and it is only possible to wash the cushion covers. I assume that dust mites would collect here as they would in a bed right? We have our mattresses covered with Zip and Block cases but we can't cover the couch the same way (unless we cover it in plastic like Marie on Everyone Loves Raymond). Would regular vacuuming take care of dust mites?

Any suggestions? Leather would seem to be a good option allergy wise but with a 3 and 5 year old I am not sure it makes sense. But maybe we could put a cover over it to protect it when they are sitting on it. Looking for opinions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:58 pm 

We have a carpet shampooer and it happens to have an upholstery attachment. http://www.bissell.com/Products/product ... ProHeat+2X

When we cleaned our sofa it was absolutely unbelievable how dirty the water was that was coming out!!! We also used this cleaning formula http://www.bissell.com/Products/product ... D+48+ounce

I think leather is actually REALLY durable...it might be a good choice with kids. I knew someone who has two big dogs and the dogs slept on the leather furniture because the hair would just brush off.

Go with the plastic. It's just soooo stylish :wink: .

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:34 am 

My husband and I bought our leather sofa (nice soft leather too) before we had our son and we are sooo glad we did for many reasons. It has been the best for his allergens, only requires a wipe down with a damp cloth. It has taken many spills throughout the toddler years and still now that he's four. If we had a fabric covered sofa - I'm sure it would have to be replaced by now. We both say it was the best purchase we ever made. The great thing about leather is that with wear, it just keeps looking nicer and more comfortable. I think it's the most kid friendly option out there (outside of sealing your sofa in plastic :lol: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:10 pm 

Leather has been great for us. Sure, there was some offgassing I had to cope with, but fabric upholstery outgasses, too, and has chemical treatments that make me react.

No mites, easy to clean, very durable. I refer to our big black leather couch as "Ol' Bessie".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:44 pm 

Thanks everyone! It's great to bounce ideas here on the forum. Other people just do not understand all of our issues. I guess we should start shopping around for a new leather sofa!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:00 am 

I have horrendous dust mite allergies and I would pay good money for some Marie Barone plastic couch covers, however I couldn't find them.

I made a makeshift cover for my favorite chair out of a plastic mattress cover - I kinda taped it all together and put it on the chair between the chair and the slipcover...not perfect but it helps.

as for my couch.....I have given it over to the dog (to whom I'm also allergic) and don't ever sit there!!!!! :)