You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:04 pm 

I am really annoyed. My mum got some ceaser salad, from sainsburys and now we have noticed it has the warning "not suitable for nut allergy sufferers" on it.

Mum says they do it on nearly everything, so are they blanketing or is this a real risk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:26 pm 

It's hard to tell. I would call Sainsbury's and ask why they have now added the warning. It may be that they have changed their manufacturing processes and there is truly is a risk to those with a nut allergy.

In Canada, I was told by a CFIA rep that companies are supposed to be able to provide proof to the CFIA that there truly is a risk if they put warnings like that on their packaging, but I have no idea what UK laws/guidelines require.

It is worth taking seriously, though, until you get more information. A study was done a few years ago where they tested a number of foods with some form of a "may contain traces" warning on them - and 17% of those foods did actually contain the allergen that was warned about.

But it's a huge pain when this happens, I know!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:10 am 

Just curious... is it a Caesar salad package that includes the dressing? Or is it a Caesar salad dressing in a bottle? Or just the romaine lettuce?

From my experience researching Sainsbury's vs Tesco (for readers outside the UK, these are both large supermarkets), Sainsbury's is very detailed about their labelling and do not put "blanket statements" so I would take the warning on the salad seriously. They are aware of their manufacturing processes and provide quite detailed allergy info. Check out the Allergies and Intolerances section on their website:
http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/food/specia ... el3_v2.htm Specifically for nuts, you can join their nut allergy mailing list and they will send you updates twice a year on which of their products are suitable. About 3 years ago, they used to mail out a booklet but now they do it by email. For the other major allergens (egg, wheat, milk), there is a list available for download.

As for Tesco, they have started putting "blanket statements" regarding nuts to protect themselves. I find this quite annoying. For example, on a package of frozen pasta (sausage and ham tortelloni):

Allergy Advice
- Contains milk, wheat, gluten, egg, sulphites.
- Recipe: No nuts.
- Ingredients: cannot guarantee nut free.
- Factory: No nuts.

I have noticed the nuts disclaimer on ALL their products. Tesco leaves it to the consumer to make up their minds. Recipe = no nuts. Factory = no nuts. But they can't guarantee nut free. They put that statement to cover themselves.

Here's an example of Sainsbury's allergy labelling on a package of frozen pasta ((toma cheese and mortadella ravioli):

Allergy Advice
Contains milk, egg & wheat gluten.
Not suitable for nut allergy sufferers due to the methods used in the manufacture of this product

That statement is there because they are aware of their manufacturing processes (they make a pasta with pesto filling, i.e. pine nuts).

Another supermarket I recommend for responsible labelling is M & S.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:33 am 

Just to update this thread... it looks as though Sainsbury's has started putting blanket statements in their stores and on their products. Plus, I have requested their list of peanut/nut-free products twice in the past 3 months and have had no response. This is very different from the immediate response I received from them in 2004.

In my opinion, the best supermarket in the UK for labelling their own products is WAITROSE.

http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/wfi/ ... 204030.asp

Email Customer Service for their list of peanut/nut-free products. You will get an immediate response and it will probably arrive in the post in less than 3 days! This is the email address: customer_service@waitrose.co.uk

They also sell ltheir products through http://www.ocado.com and you can read the list of ingredients online. There are even "nut-free" categories for each product. Since Waitrose updates their list every two months, I cross-reference the online products with my updated list.

I know they are more expensive but they are worth it. You can find your local Waitrose here: http://www.waitrose.com/about/findyourlocalwaitrose.asp

or see if Ocado will deliver to your address by entering your postal code in the Grocery Shop Online box: http://tinyurl.com/3yjfoc