You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cork and bamboo flooring
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:37 pm 

We are thinking of moving and are looking at various kinds of flooring.

Katec - you mentioned bamboo in another post here - have you had it installed yet? If yes, are you happy with it?

The recent AL article also mentioned cork. Has anyone here had any experience with cork floors? Some friends of ours are pleased with theirs, but I just wondered if anyone else had any experience with it.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

My sister got it installed recently in the kitchen - looks great, has a little give under foot, which is nice.

She seems to find it easy to clean.

Personally, I love the look, feel of bamboo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:34 pm 

The flooring company misquoted us the price of bamboo. It will be more expensive than we thought but we are still considering it. Making a good choice for the environment is important to us. Bamboo is very nice. We were very happy with the samples we looked at. One thing we did not ask about is if the bamboo can be refinished when there are some marks on it. We also looked into cork. We were told that cork was light sensitive and that it might fade in rooms with high sun exposure. Our bedrooms face south so that ruled out cork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:47 am 

I have recently started working at the Home Depot and sell flooring. I am still learning, but, I do know that cork and bamboo are enviromentally friendly. Cork is in between a laminate and a hardwood floor. It installs like a laminate and is a floating floor but with the look, and feel and I believe the durability of hardwood.

In London we have a place called Adventures on Wonderland which is essentially a huge indoor park for infants to about age 11. I have been told by a co-worker who knows flooring really well that Adventures has cork flooring. I have been in there, and I never would have guessed. The floor looks amazing.

Price wise I believe they are similar . Hope this has helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:22 pm 

Cork is great- cleans easily ( but hides dirt too!), soft and warm on the feet. Love it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:58 pm 

The foot feel of cork flooring is better. But bamboo flooring is a bit more abrasion resistant.