Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:56 pm 

HI,

I'm new here.

Just discovered that milk and milk products make me very sick. GI problems at both ends when I have them (scuse me).

My family and I are travelling to a family resort in the Caribbean (and it's expensive so I'm assuming it's top of the line hotel) which has more than a handful of restaurants.

I'm going to ask for plain protein like fish and chicken and vegetables or potatoes when I get there.

Anyone done some resort travelling with allergies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:46 pm 

I just returned from a weekend away on an island resort in Australia with my 1yr old dairy anaphylactic son. I made a point of taking a lot of our own food with us, just to be on the safe side, and I'm really glad I did.

Buffet style food is very common on resorts and are very dangerous for the allergic. Cross contamination at a buffet is a huge risk, as people will use the same food servers to dish out their croissant and their piece of fruit.

Also watch the bread that they serve, I found nearly all of the bread at this resort was the new "enriched" variety, which generally means it has milk in it. I had to get them to order me in some special plain bread for the weekend.

Just pack some extra tins / packets of safe foods for yourself, so that you don't have to rely on the resort food for every meal.

I would also suggest calling ahead and speaking with the chef's regarding your allergy and what they can do for you. It is easier for them to manage your needs when they have prior notice of your arrival.

Overall make sure you still have a fantastic time and not let your allergies dominate your thoughts. 8)

Post subject: Hi TC
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:19 pm 

Thank you for your reply.

I am planning to take dry cereal and saltines with me for breakfast and snacks in my room.

I am stumped on what else to bring. Can you please make some suggestions? Let me know what you brought with you.

Also, please let me know how you travelled with your food. Did you pack it in your luggage? Did you bring a doc note to bring it into another country? Did you declare that you were bringing in food? ANy of these specifics would help - I need to do it right the first time if you know what I mean.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

And I am going to take you up on your suggestion to call the resort and speak to the chef before going over.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:36 am 

Firstly what I took may not help you as my son is only 1yr old so I was able to take some tinned baby food. :( Also I actually live in Australia (and the resort was in Australia) so did not have to manage the customs issues with food, I just packed it in my luggage. You should however be able to import unopened cans into other countries, provided you declare them as you go through customs.

If you can get a safe loaf of bread at the resort, sandwiches may be the easiest option - with non-dairy margarine, jams and other spreads, tinned tuna (although some have milk...check lables), There is a brand called Toffuti who make a great creamed cheese alternative "Better than creamed cheese". Tins of baked beans and spaghetti could also do nicely - just make sure it isn't the type with extra cheese.

Post subject: Thanks for your reply
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:16 am 

Yes I think I'll pass on the jarred baby food :lol:

I'm in Canada and as a fluke I found a web site for our children's hospital that has a store there and they have you know those fruit bar type snacks? That's kind of what I'm looking for so I'll grab a few of those and see if there is anything else similar there. Along with saltines and dry cereal I should be OK for breakfast and snacks.

Declaring snack bars shouldn't be a big deal. It's probably like bringing in a chocolate bar except I'll have 5 or 6 of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

How about:
http://www.nonuttin.com/
http://www.vancesfoods.com/
and starting points to look for more foods you might be able to eat(these are US sites though)...
http://www.allergygrocer.com/
http://shopbydiet.com/info.php?id=1629& ... iet_info=0

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:27 pm 

Thanks for the links. I was able to find a store much closer to home with granola bars that I'm looking for.

They'll be great for my trip.