Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:37 am 

stefteach wrote:
MedicAlert also has a program called No Child Without run via the schools that can get your child his/her bracelet free. Check with the principal.

Just wanted to point out that this is still a pilot program, and I'm pretty sure it's only running in some schools in the Toronto area and maybe a few in the Ottawa area (if MedicAlert has gotten it off the ground there yet - it was still in the very beginning stages this past spring).

I hope they do manage to keep this program going and manage to get it Canada-wide, because I think it's wonderful.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:25 am 

Just wanted to post again about the benefits of having your child wear a Medic Alert bracelet. A couple of times when someone has offered my son food (including when Santa offered him a candy cane), instead of accepting it, he'd just point to his Medic Alert bracelet and say "no thank you". Although we're teaching him to communicate about his allergy, the idea that a 4 year old is responsible (say when he's at school and there is a supply teacher, etc.) for explaining the nuances of his allergy at such a young age is worrisome to me and it's such a relief that he can just point to his wrist and have it explain it for him. This is especially important when your child is even too young yet to communicate with others or unable for whatever reason. I've also found that it's a great conversation starter about allergies. When we attend programs, instructors/other parents invariably see his bracelet and ask about it -- and it saves us the task of bringing up the topic, because they've already brought up the topic themselves!

I forgot to mention, my son is into bugs/snakes and all of that wonderful stuff -- so it was great when he saw the Medic Alert symbol on the bracelet -- he thought having a "snake" bracelet was really cool! 8)

Last edited by ethansmom on Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:14 pm 

When I ordered my son's bracelet (he had just turned 3), and I explained to him he was getting a "special bracelet" to tell everyone "no nuts for me". We went to the mailbox everyday to check if it had arrived and he was so excited to look inside and see if it was there. Meanwhile, I went to the store and bought myself one of those stretchy, elasticy bracelets (they are stainless steel and cost about $10 from Walmart). When his bracelet arrived, I showed him mine too and said we both have special bracelets (mine had his and his brothers initials on it) and NEVER take them off. This was a great tool for me because he did want to wear it all the time in the beginning, and all I had to do was show him my bracelet and say that I never take it off too. :wink:

Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:43 pm 

That's a great tactic to have your own bracelet, Ang. Parents are so smart sometimes! :)

It's funny - I wear my red Support Allergic Friends Everywhere (SAFE) bracelet all the time now and have so for months, although I haven't told the kids why.

I feel it's a bit like my wedding ring. My wedding ring represents my DH (according to the minister who married us), and so even when he isn't physically with me, because of the ring, he actually is. And the red SAFE bracelet represents my kids. Even when they aren't physically with me, the bracelet ensures that they are.

Maybe it's kind of silly, but it makes me feel good. And I really should make sure my kids know why I never take it off!

K.

P.S. You can get the SAFE bracelets from Anaphylaxis Canada - go to http://www.anaphylaxis.org/content/livi ... ue.asp#acm for more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:16 am 

My son and I have the specail bond of wearing our MedicAlert's together. SIgh. I also make sure at school that I point out to kids that we both wear one and we can have a little 'dialogue' on why. One little guy always comes up and makes us match our bracelets.
Anything to raise awareness!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:13 pm 

I had a hard time finding one my teenager would wear. She is very uset at having to wear anything. I finially went to a military website and got her dog tags that haver her information. She also carrys a card in her wallet.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:27 pm 

I do think the bracelets are a better choice as it's the first place paramedics look. However, the teen years are hard enough -- if she's willing to wear a dog tag, that's a better choice than a bracelet that she'll take off and hide.

My son has been wearing a bracelet since before starting school. He's now in grade three. Several times parents have come up to me over the years and said that their child was unwilling to wear a bracelet until they saw my son had one. When they notice his, they ask him why he has it -- then tells him why they are getting one -- then go home and tell their mom to order it for them.

He's considered *cool* by his classmates. So, now, medical jewelry is also becoming *cool*. 8)