You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:24 pm 

Hi all!

I was on my break at my work and was reading the Nutrition Information and Ingredients List on a package of Cookies And Creme Dunkaroos. Having had anaphylaxis to milk all my life, I read labels out of habit. However, I had eaten these many times before (at least a year), and haven't read the label each time. This time, under the Frosting ingredients list, I noticed it said "Modified Milk Ingredients". It really shocked me, because we had recently bought the Dunkaroos and I had at least three out of the pack in the past two weeks without a problem. As soon as I got home, I checked the box to make sure it wasn't a labelling mistake, but on the Ingredients list on the box, Modified Milk Ingredients appears.

I just looked at the General Mills website, as they are the company listed on the package, but that proved to be not helpful, as they don't list Dunkaroos in the product list. I noticed that there was a Betty Crocker logo on the box, which could mean that the frosting for the cookies is Betty Crocker. Upon checking out their website, I found nothing about Dunkaroos.

I thought I would let everyone know about this change in the snack, since I've noticed that many of you have children. Should I contact the company and ask why the Dunkaroos are not listed in their products??

Thanks
Meaghan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:56 pm 

I looked into the definition of "modified milk ingredients" on the Health Canada website a few years ago, and basically it means that there is a component of milk in there that has been modified from it's original form (ie as it appears in milk). Upon further investigation, I found out that in some cases, the allergy-causing protein will have been modified enough that it cannot produce a reaction ... if the protein is used at all. We just don't know which part of the milk has been used!

With my son, before we knew how serious his milk allergy was, we often fed him foods that said "modified milk ingredients", and never produced a reaction. We always stayed away from "milk ingredients" because those appear in their natural state. However, 1 time we fed him a hot dog that said "modified milk ingredients" and he had a very serious anaphylactic reaction. So now, we will no longer give him any new foods. If he has had them before (like Nutrigrain bars), then we are comfortable still giving them to him.