* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:32 pm 

Please visit http://www.m210.org/

and see discussion is at

http://www.m210.org/forum/

or send me an email at caroline@m210.org

We are getting so oragnized -- please forward to anyone who might be interested in supporting our efforts in BC to get legislation to protect kids in our schools.

:D
Caroline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:50 pm 

I'm embarrased that I have not looked at these forums in the past. My daughter is allergic to Milk protein. I fear for her everyday that she goes to school. I have been called so many times from the school secratary that my daughter has touched something and has welts the size of loonies on her skin. I don't know if they would be prepared if something got in her system and she would need her epipen. :oops: The school has gotten better this year after trying to educate them as much as I can. They try to remind the children to wash there hands after eating but they need contstant reminders. I've been her only advocate at school but I realize now that I'm not alone. She is now in grade 4 and I'm terrified once she is in middle school. After Carly died recently, I was so upset that I feel I need to do something so this doesn't happen again. I have emailed my MLA, Shirley Bond, Gordon Campbell and David Cubberly and have asked them to support the Bill. If I can do anything else, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:03 pm 

Please join our group! Go to the website listed above and see what we are doing.
Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:56 pm 

Excellent website, you guys!

I have just posted on the Kids With Food Allergies forum and also sent a plea to all my support group members (90 of them) to send an email, complete with instructions on how to use your handy-dandy ready-made email (available on the bottom of the left column of the main webpage).

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:25 pm 

I'll keep looking on these sites to see what you are all doing. If I can help in any way, I certainly will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:55 pm 

Note: OF COURSE all of us here in BC will do our best to keep everyone here up to date on this forum! In no way are we 'breaking away' -- we LOVE you guys -- the other website is only a short term thing for this one local issue. Honest. There is no place better than Allergic Living, after all. :D

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:06 pm 

great site, Carolyn. I have circulated an email requesting support for the Bill fairly widely, and have had such good response. The bill is schedule for 2nd reading on Monday - hope it gets heard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:53 pm 

Thanks for the compliment -- but it was my techie husband that made it happen, so I must pass along the credit to him!

Do you have official word that the reading will be on Monday? I have heard that it is on the Orders of the Day for Monday, but really it is more likely to happen in a couple of weeks. And, unfortunately, despite our efforts, it is not likely to pass that reading. :cry:

Keep checking here and the other board as we continue to work out a strategy to encourage the Liberals to pick up the bill... and be sure to post your ideas.

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:58 pm 

Caroline2 wrote:
And, unfortunately, despite our efforts, it is not likely to pass that reading. :cry:

I'm sorry, did I miss reading this somewhere else? Why is it that it is not likely to pass?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Monday - yikes, I hope it's not up for reading that quickly. It would be great if the gov't was feeling enough pressure that it decided to come around and either support this bill and create something similar of its own.

Bit of a long shot but not unheard of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:20 pm 

The reason the bill probably will not pass the second reading is because it is a NDP Opposition Private Member's Bill. Even though it was put out there as non-partisan, the support has been divided between the NDP for the bill and the Liberal Government wanting instead to start a 'task force' to investigate the risks and needs of students with anaphylactic allergies.

Our BC group has 'targeted' the Liberal Members of Legislative Assembly. Some say the task force line, some say they support a bill 'like' this one tabled and I think one is dedicated to helping make it pass. It has been a challenge, for of course the Liberals have to follow the lead of the Minister in charge of this issue -- the Education Minister and Deputy Premier -- and she won't even meet with our group. Frustrating is not the word for how hard this has been!

Caroline
ps I wrote a letter to the editor about our process after an op/ed appeared about allergies in our community paper. Ihttp://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vi ... php?t=2150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:11 pm 

I heard through the grape vine that it is on orders of the day for Monday, April 16 for second reading. We'll see ............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:07 pm 

Shirley, did you get the info here:
http://www.leg.bc.ca/38th3rd/orders/o070416a3.html

Or do you have another source closer to the 'action'? ;)

(I tell you, I am beginning to feel like Erin Brokovich, lol!!)

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Good news - Pam has it officially that the second reading won't be until the first week of May.

This gives time for the B.C. group and all of us to help raise awareness of the need for Bill M210. If you haven't written your letter yet to Shirley Bond and co., please do so soonest. If you know anyone else who would - maybe a teacher or two who'd say that Sabrina's Law is a good thing from the teacher's perspective as well? That would be great.

Please keep up your wonderful support guys. thanks! Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:29 pm 

I could write a different letter from a teacher's perspective this time. I will see if I can convince one of the fellow teachers to also write. From what I have seen in our area there has been no negative reaction from teachers or our board in reponse to Sabrina's law. Teachers want to keep students safe too and the requirements of the law only makes it easier for us to do that. Is there opposition from BC teachers?