You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ghee.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:09 am 

I was wondering if any dairy allergic people use ghee (clarified butter). I saw on the jar that it says "casein free" and I was wondering if it's okay to use? I thought that perhaps it's like highly refined oils--the proteins are eliminated.

For context: my 11 month old son tested allergic to dairy and casein (amongst other things) and since I'm still breastfeeding I have cut out all dairy myself. I was wondering if *I* could eat ghee--I think I'd be too scared to feed it to him directly.

Also, for those of you with dairy allergic babies--how do you get enough fats into your child's diet. I've introduced some rice milk, but the has very little fat. He doesn't seem to respond that well when I add oils to his food (I've tried olive oil and avocado oil). Suggestions? I just hope he's still getting enough from my breastmilk....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:06 pm 

I stayed far away from ghee when nursing, after my son was initially diagnosed, given that it's clarified butter.

See http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... aite.shtml :

Quote:
Possible sources of milk
Artificial butter, butter fat/flavour/oil, ghee, margarine

Given that food protein can be passed from you to your child via breastmilk, for me it's the same thing if the nursing mother consumes the food or the child does.

Now that we know he has a severe dairy allergy, we definitely don't use it.

I am very conservative in my approach, and do not personally believe that they can guarantee that they could remove all the dairy protein from such a product. I won't even let my son have things with pharmaceutical lactose in them, even though it is supposedly guaranteed free of dairy protein. For me, it's just not worth the risk.

My understanding is that breastmilk is very high in fat, so if he is still nursing, I would think that would cover off that aspect. I actually nursed my youngest until he was almost three for that reason (among others).

It might be a good idea to consult with a dietitian for sources of good fat. Or do some online research - there are lots of websites out there.

Sorry - gotta run - hopefully others will have more to say. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:29 pm 

I think the only thing to bake with if you're allergic to soy and milk would be coconut oil. I'm sure he's getting enough from breastmilk...as long as you're getting enough.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:05 pm 

There's also Spectrum Shortening - which is 100% Organic Expeller Pressed Palm Oil.

http://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87

Should be available in health food stores.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:36 am 
I know some people who can tolerate ghee, but I also would fear for cross contamination. I stay away, personally.