You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:11 pm 

When my son was tested for peanuts (he was approx. 2 yrs), his allergist felt that we could wait until just before he started JK to test for tree nuts because he didn't want him to have to go through all of the additional poking and prodding at such a young age (given that we would be keeping him away from all nuts anyway). Just wondering what others' experiences have been. Do they do a scratch for each type of tree nut? And how many tree nuts do they test for anyway? Does a RAST follow any positive SPTs? My son actually ate almonds and walnuts prior to his exposure to peanut and didn't have any problems with them. I'm wondering about the other tree nuts that he's never eaten. For those of you who tested positive or had children who tested positive to different tree nuts, had you or your child eaten them before? Any comments or advice would be appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:18 am 

Hello my daughter is anaphylactic to cashews and pistachios we also avoid all other tree nuts. The only tree nut that she had ever had was a cashew and she had a reaction. I really don't remember if she had it at any other time before that or not. When tested they did approximately i think it was 8-10 scratches but i'm not positive. I have never had a rast test done on her even after the positive reaction for cashews and pistachios. Don't know if that helped or not I do know that i have to take her in again in another year to get her tested again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:08 pm 

My daughter is also only allergic to cashews and pistachios. She had eaten all other nuts previous to her reaction but we still avoid them now. They tested her for all nuts and peanuts with one eight/ten ( I think) pronged stamp. It was very quick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:23 pm 

When we first found out my older son was allergic to tree nuts, he had eaten some of a banana nut muffin and had a reaction (in LAX airport as we were about to board the plane...but that is another story! :shock: ) We had him tested for alll nuts and peanuts, so the allergist did test each nut type (poke on his back) and then did a test with actual peanut butter and nut blend on his back too. He had eaten foods with nuts in it before this incident (maple walnut ice cream, cakes with nuts sprinkled on it), but never specifically eaten the nut itself, until this incident of the muffin where I actually saw him crunching on the nut. As for my younger son, we had him tested last Friday for tree nuts and peanuts, and because he had never had a reaction, he simply did a "poke/scratch" for peanuts and one with a nut blend. Luckily, he is not allergic :D...hope that helps.

Ang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:08 pm 

I have never to my knowledge had a reaction to nuts, and have eaten them before. I don't like them that much, but I have had them no problems. When I was tested for food allergies, nuts were among the tests they did. I did not test positive to the 'mixed nuts' sample, but I tested positive for the samples of individual nuts. I do try and avoid them now (except peanuts, which I did not test positive for) just in case it decides to escalate some day, but I have never had any problems and have eaten them in candy a handful of times since the 'diagnosis' with no problems.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:01 pm 

Nice allergist!
Mine tested my (then) 2 1/2 year old for peanuts and ALL nuts. Lots of scratches and lots of fun holding him down. He is allergic to all tree nuts (except either pecans or pralines) but we avoid them all.

stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:34 pm 

Thanks for your comments everyone -- we've got an appt. with his allergist and we'll see how it goes. :)