You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:43 pm 

This may be a little TMI for some, but...

I just switched to cloth pads for my period, and it was so much more comfortable than I thought! I tend to have a heavy first few days and then be pretty light for a few days after that (and I have a long cycle, so I know, I have it easy!) So I had sort of switched over a few months ago, but continued to use regular store-bought pads/tampons for the first three days. Then I found some 'night' cloth ones at a local 'green' store, and thought I would try switching over all the way. It made such a difference! Regular pads always made me sooooo itchy, and I never could figure out why. Recently, I read that cornstarch is used as an absorbent in a lot of these products. Since most of my corn reactions so far have been primarily skin-based, and since I seem to be more sensitive than the allergist thought (he told me to just avoid actual corn and that I would not be bothered by corn flour, corn starch etc. and that has not been true!) it does not surprise me that having that right up against my skin for days at a time might be an issue!

The cloth pads were a little expensive. If one was a sewer (I am not) you could probably make your own. But I was just really impressed by how comfortable they were (especially after the first few days when my flow is so light) and I am completely happy with them. They have cute patterns too! The cost is again a bit of an issue, but I won't have to buy dispoable stuff anymore, and I just feel so much better using them than I do using the other stuff, which made me so itchy every month.

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:33 am 
Site Admin

Have you tried the cups? I haven't but the frugal side of me keeps wondering...
http://www.divacup.com/
http://www.keeper.com/
This webpage seems to have a lot of info:
http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:55 am 

I've read about the Diva cup and was tempted to try it. A little bit pricey up front but it would certainly end up paying for itself in the long run. Also better for the environment.
Anyone out there ever tried these cups? Are they effective?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:09 pm 

I've tried the cups, but I can't figure them out at all. I have read the website, contacted the customer service number and the whole but, but I just can't figure it out :)

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:45 pm 

Hello,

I've been using the cup for approx 6 months now. I found there to be a steep learning curve. The first month, I couldn't take it out without it hurting like heck, the second month, I couldn't seem to put it in properly without leaking. I took the third month off!! Then I tried itagain. Once you get the hang of it, it truly is wonderful, especially if you have heavy flow. I use to have to change every two hours or less in the first two days of my cycle. I can easily go until lunch time now. It completely pays for itself in no time and is definitely better for the environment. I know lots of women who swear by it.

Denise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:55 pm 

Same here. The learning curve is quite steep, and no one can really help you, because each body is unique. It took me three or four cycles before I really got the hang of it, and even then, I can only get the Diva to work for 24 hours (my heaviest, thankfully!) I'm still working on what is different after 24 hours.

Each case is different though, unfortunately you have to try it to know if it works for you.

me - seafood,, oral allergy syndrome