You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:59 pm 

Hello,

My family and I will be visiting the DC area this summer, and I was wondering if any one had a good experience with and would recommend any good restaurants there.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:29 am 

What do you avoid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:12 pm 

It is my daughter. She is 5 and has anaphylactic reactions to Milk, Eggs, Gluten, Peanuts, Sesame and Cashews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:13 pm 

At the risk of causing you additional undue stress... with a list of allergies like that, especially if your child is anaphylactic to all those foods, I would avoid restaurants, or take safe food for her that you have prepared in advance. I would think it would be very difficult for a restaurant to guarantee a safe meal for her.

We have a number of families in my local support group facing similar challenges (including my family) and most people find that staying in places with a kitchen and preparing the food "in-house" is much safer and much less stressful. Alternately, some people take their child's food with them to the restaurant. (It's a good idea to call ahead to make sure this won't be an issue.)

One friend has even bought chicken and a baked potato from Swiss Chalet (whose food is safe for her son) and taken it to another restaurant called Milestones here in Ottawa! They were very accommodating, but they are quite allergy aware. Not all restaurants are that accommodating so it is good to call ahead.

The one really allergy-friendly restaurant that I have heard of in the US is in Chicago. See http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=1221& for more details.

I wish I had more helpful advice, but I personally wouldn't take a chance on restaurant food for your daughter.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:39 pm 

Thanks for your reply. I agree that what you are suggesting is the safest route and it is what we usually do 99.9 % of the time. Last year we stayed in an extended stay hotel with a kitchen and a fridge and it worked fine, but when you go sightseeing with two other kids not facing the same challenges as their sibling and smelling the restaurant foods being cooked, it can be quite tempting.

We live in Texas and have found a couple of restaurants that we frequent on special occasions and they offer my kids a glimpse of the " normal" life. It is my experience that the High-end restaurants are specially more accomodating and meticulous about speciality food preparation.

Thanks for your reply.