Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: BC: Momentum continues
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:44 am 

Hi again all --

We are gaining considerable momentum -- hardly know where to begin!

1. We have two press releases going out on Monday -- one to talk about our parent group, PACT, Protect Allergic Children Today -- and our support of Bill M 210 Anaphylaxis Student Protection Act. The other is background on Bill M 210. We will post them here when they are finalised.

2. Sara Shannon will be at the BC Legislature on May 7th and NDP David Cubberley EDIT TO CHANGE will introduce her in the gallery. - Cubberley will be reading a statement addressing all the members on the issue of anaphylaxis in our schools, although he is not allowed to mention the bil. That Sara is able to come all the way here to do that for us is fantastic -- and that Mr Cubberley is willing to help out by reading this statement AND hold a press conference for us is just wonderful. (He even ran an ad telling people to contact his office if they want to know more about the Legislation to protect kids with allergies! He wants this message out there.)

3. I hesitate even to say it out loud here on the forum. . . but there is now the possibility that we *will* go to a second reading on May 28th. This is to be confirmed, of course, but it is still wonderful news that it is even being considered. Private Members' Bills by the Opposition rarely get this much attention. It just might mean our pressure is working!

4. The national support has been phenomenal, and much of that has branched from the people of this forum. Karen suggested we contact paramedics and now we have their support, which is so important. Anaphylaxis Canada has stepped forward to help our voice get heard. Cindy Paskey, head of NASK ,and the website b! online, and a lobbyist for Sabrina's Law has been very helpful by giving us advice and connecting us with people in Ontario who might be able to help us out west. And then there is Gwen who is doing everything in her power to help us out, from editing our press releases to guiding us along the way so we don't get down when we hit a bump. We just could not do any of this without your support!

So keep the letters coming. If you haven't had the chance, there is one to send on our website here: http://www.m210.org/ Yvonne Rousseau from AAIA reminded us that it is important that we get all those onside who will be most affected by this legislation, i.e. the Parent Advisory Councils, the Teachers Associations, CUPE (bus drivers, noon-hour supervisors, etc.), the School Board Trustees and the Principals and Vice-Prinicpals Association.

Thanks to you all!
More soon, as ever,
Caroline

Last edited by Caroline2 on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:52 pm 

Wow - that is amazing news, Caroline.

I wrote a very impassioned email the other day to one of the gov't MLAs who replied to me to say that they were working on a task force. I didn't send it, but I think I will (it's still in my Draft box) - and make sure I send it to all the other gov't MLAs who sent me that same party-line email. I will also get my DH to write!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:51 pm 

I had to make some edits as I misunderstood something -- Cubberley will be addressing the Leg on May 7th. This is a very important date for us, so I will forward the information as soon as possible.
Caroline