You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hi, I'm new here
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:04 pm 

Just wanted to introduce myself & say hi. I'm looking for answers and/or help with some intolerances that I have recently developed (in the past 5yrs) as an adult. Through trial and error I have discovered that I am sensitive to eggs (but NOT dairy) and I can NOT eat anything leafy. I have immediate reactions to lettuce, parsley, cabbage, spinach etc... Basically any leaf. I have no trouble with foods that are "green" cuz I enjoy broccoli, green beans, green peppers, peas, etc. with absolutly no adverse reactions. Because this is all so new to me I'm not sure where to look for answers or even what questions to ask in the first place other than how and why did this happen to me as an adult and will I grow out of it the same way I grew into it??

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:42 pm 

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Sounds to me like you might have "oral allergy syndrome." I'm allergic to most raw fruits and vegetables because they cross react to pollens that I'm allergic to---but I can eat most things if they are cooked. Spinach, strangely enough, is usually not one of them. I eat stir fried kale instead which I think is probably just as healthy.

It seems odd, but it is actually a common problem! You might want to search this message board for "OAS" or "oral allergy syndrome"---there are a couple of discussion threads devoted to the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:11 pm 

I just don't understand how it can be so selective... One example is that I can eat white and/or red onions just fine but green onions bother me cuz its the more "leafy" part of the plant... You have no idea how much I miss & CRAVE a grilled chicken caesar salad!!!! I have to be the most anti-vegetarian person I know & always laughed at people before who called a salad a meal but now that I can't eat it I miss it... Go figure. My whole life I've been able to eat ANYTHING I could fit in my mouth but now I'm scared of food. THIS SUCKS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:40 pm 

I'm not sure what kind of reactions you have...but my youngest reacts to many fruits and veggies by getting red, swollen and the odd hive around her mouth. She has the biggest problem with cucumber, strawberry and "leafy" things. She however is perfectly fine with them if they are organic. I'm pretty sure her problem is chemical related. Since anything "leafy" is sprayed directly (no thick peels to cut off)...did you ever wonder if it is pesticide/fungicide/herbicide/fertilizer related?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:44 pm 

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be...

As for the "selectiveness", I don't know a whole lot about food, but I did just learn the other day that in Sweden, scientists have discovered that there is a kind of a colourless “white” strawberry that doesn’t have the strawberry protein that most people react to. (This protein is involved with whatever makes strawberries red.) So even people who are allergic to strawberries can eat this white strawberry.

People are allergic to specific proteins, so the protein or proteins that you are allergic to are common to those things you can't eat - but it (or they) must not be found in the white and red onion.

A friend of mine has a similar problem - she's ana to lettuce, celery, coriander... and figured that they must all have some common protein in them that she reacts to.

Have you seen an allergist? I assume you carry an EpiPen or Twinject at all times?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:28 pm 

I've thought about the chemical/pesticide angle but its seems unlikely to me only cuz it doesn't seem to matter how the foods are prepared, raw or cooked makes no difference. It is however a strong possibilty. One odd example would be pickles and relish. I have no problem with cucumbers themselves but when made into dill pickles or relish containing dill as an ingredient (a leaf) I can no longer tolerate them. BTW, my reactions are purely GI and no, I haven't seen an alergist yet (mostly out of embarrassment I guess) nor do I carry an epi-pen. I mean really, who's ever heard of someone being "allergic" to lettuce which is what, 99.9% water. Like I said before this is all very new to me and I mean NO offense to anyone and I am certainly NOT making fun of serious allergies. Until this started happening to me in the past couple years my knowledge of allergies was limited to peanuts and bee stings and pollen...

ps. theres also the part about the eggs that puzzles me. What do eggs have to do with leaves? ALL the food intolerances started around the same time. I used to eat eggs all the time, almost daily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:38 pm 

The friend I mentioned is actually anaphylactic to lettuce, so it can obviously be a serious allergy. And it developed when she was 18 (along with her other food allergies). Before that - no allergies.

There's really nothing to be embarrassed about. You have allergies. Lots of people do. You can be allergic to pretty much anything except water (from an ingestion point of view). It's certainly not your fault that you have allergies! And you're sure not alone - surf around these forums and you'll see others trying to cope with adult-onset allergies. It is hard to get your head around the fact that something that used to offer comfort is now threatening. I definitely feel for you about that. It takes a lot of time to get used to that aspect. (But it is possible - with time.)

I would get tested so that you have a better idea of what you have to avoid and whether you should be carrying an EpiPen/Twinject auto-injector or not. Where there have been fatalities it's been because the person didn't get the EpiPen/Twinject in time or didn't have one with them.

As for eggs, they have nothing to do with leaves. :) Check the list of my kids' allergies below. The only things that are related, really, are peanuts and legumes for my older son, and maybe the egg and chicken (I'm not sure if they share common proteins...). The rest... it's just the luck of the draw.

Some people have one food allergy. Some have multiple food allergies. Where I come from (as the leader of the Ottawa Anaphylaxis Support Group), it's more common to have multiple food allergies. But I hang around with special people! ;)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:01 pm 

Thanks, that does offer some comfort. I am starting to get over the embarrassment the more I read about people who are much worse off than myself. I'm starting to see that in the big picture my problems are a mere inconvenience compared to others. Since you're in the Ottawa area maybe you can point me in the right direction for getting properly tested/diagnosed instead of my trial and error self diag...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:38 am 

I've sent you a PM with some info. Hope it helps.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:34 pm 

Yes, allergy can be weird... Example, I'm allergic to onion and green onion but not to garlic (PRAISE THE LORD!!!) and asparagus (it's in the same family). It seems if I eat onion powder in a mini dose, but very mini (like in some large brand prepared food and only if it is in the bottom ingredients) I'll be fine (maybe a little bellyache and a little sweat, but no thick tongue or squeezed throat). I'm still waiting for my allergy tests, but I'm in the process. My optometrist also told me I'm likely allergic to some beauty product chemicals, and just since last december (and I'm 30), so allergies don't have a age range. The best example of that it's my grandma, who became, at 76, allergic to canned fish, which she ate most part of her live....

Good luck!