Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:07 am 

mygirlsyd wrote:
We were recently introduced to a cream that has worked wonders on DD's eczema....It's Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturizing Cream. It comes in a Tub and I've we buy it from Walmart. It does contain Shea Butter though...

mygirlsyd -- Ethan's eczema has started to act up and I was interested in this cream...but he has a peanut allergy and although no confirmed allergy to tree nuts at this time was told to stay away from them due to cross-contam. and possibility of allergy to them (his doctor said that he'll do further testing on tree nuts when he's older) -- anyway, my question is about shea butter -- from what I have been able to find out on the web, shea butter comes from the grinding of the nut of the Karite Nut Tree -- I guess what I'm curious about is other's comments/opinions on whether or not it is considered a true "tree nut" and something that we should avoid given Ethan hasn't yet been tested for allergies to tree nuts. (I have an idea of what you'll all recommend....but I still want to throw it out there....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:38 pm 

I have been concerned with shea butter as well. I received a response from softsoap saying that they do not consider any of their soaps to be safe for someone with a treenut allergy due to the likelihood of crosscontamination from the shea butter products. From what I have heard, shea butter is infact from a true "tree nut".

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:02 pm 

You bring up a good point about Soft Soap and cross-contam. with shea butter -- Aveeno products are all potentially at risk of cross-contam. with shea butter as well then...... :(

Last edited by ethansmom on Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:22 pm 

Just got off the phone with the Johnson and Johnson customer service rep. who said that they cannot guarantee that any of the Aveeno products have not come into contact with shea butter. She said given the size of the company and the number of manufacturing plants that they have, they simply do not have specific information about dedicated lines, etc. She said that if you have a concern about shea butter, you should stay away from all products that Johnson and Johnson make, including Aveeno. She did add that the Aveeno Baby and Johnson Baby Products do not have any nut oils/products in them and that these baby products are "manufactured under tightly controlled conditions" (however they are not guaranteed "nut free" as the suppliers of their raw materials can change, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:54 pm 

I haven't heard anything definitive about shea nut---but folks at peanutallergy.com are concerned. (i seem to remember someone reacting....but maybe it was because it cross reacts with latex...but maybe not? my memory is fuzzy on this one.)

I started buying shea nut butter lip balm after my sister tried shea nut oil on her skin without incident. (she has eczema and has had serious contact reactions so I figured that if she was okay, I'd probably be okay too. but that doesn't mean, of course, that it is safe for everyone.....it could be possible that my sister is not allergic to that particular nut but that others would be.) I don't react either, but after reading what people on peanutallergy.com have to say about it, I don't think I'll buy the lip balm again (it is my favourite though---I like it even better than Burt's Bees.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:20 pm 

My son's eczema started acting up this winter (can we even call it that with temps at 8 degrees?). He was getting little patches all over his chest and back, but he wasn't complaining about itching or anything (so obviously not too severe). At any rate, I tried the Aveeno moisturizing bar http://www.aveeno.com/detailAction.do?id=3623 on him and am amazed at how it's cleared everything up. We have also continued applying the Aveeno cream with shea butter http://www.aveeno.com/detailAction.do?id=1365 (that mygirlsyd previously talked about) immediately after bathing. The combo seems to have it under control. Just thought I'd share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:04 am 

Aveeno is a great product, unfortunatley we had to stop using it when we discovered our boys were allergic to oats. We have tried Udderly Smooth. it comes in a black and white (cow looking) tub. It costs $6 and we found that it is HIGHLY effective and that it worked better than Aveeno ever did. IT is the same kind of cream that is used on cow udders so it does not sting or anything. I found that my hands were extremely soft just from applying to the boys.
When we use medicated creams we have found that ointments are the best and work quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:12 pm 

my son and youngest daughter had eczema when younger - his was so bad he would scratch till he bled. We also went the route of creams, lotions, hydrocortizone etc - kept it at bay unless you forgot to put it on and then it returned full force. Have used Renew for years - and it does work. A friend of ours had skin issues even on his feet - could hardly walk at one point - gave him a bottle of Renew and he was amazed at how his skin responded. It works! Here's a link to let you learn about it. http://www.melaleuca.com/ps/index.cfm?f ... 2=10&l3=35

If you're interested, pm me your address and I'll send you a free trial size.