You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:15 am 

[color=indigo]Food Allergy - all grass family foods...... Does anyone else have a skin reaction to these foods? :roll:
I'm after recipes of meals to eat (especially breakfast) that don't contain grass family foods and any knowledge of immunotherapy. Help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:54 am 

What foods exactly are you talking about?

Do you mean foods that cross-react with grass, like melon, tomato, watermelon, orange, and kiwi?

See http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... rale.shtml for more info about grass allergy and what foods cross-react with it.

As far as I know, there is no "grass family" of foods. See http://www.calgaryallergy.ca/Articles/E ... ood_Family .

If you provide more info about what you are looking for, I will try to help.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:06 pm 

Here is a site that might be useful:

http://www.answers.com/topic/poaceae

I avoid all grains in the "grass family" as well because of my severe corn allergy. My reactions to the other grains are not as severe as with corn.

I eat buckwheat porridge or quinoa porridge for breakfast. I also make buckwheat waffles/pancakes and muffins and freeze them. The buckwheat waffles are my "bread" for sandwiches as well. Buckwheat is not a grain, but a member of the rhubarb family. Potato pancakes are another option for breakfast...but they take some time to prepare. Homemade hashbrowns are good as well.

For my buckwheat waffles, I just use organic stone ground buckwheat flour, a couple of eggs, some safe milk (for me it is either unenriched soy milk or goat's milk), baking soda and a pinch of organic sea salt. I make a large batch and then freeze them into individual servings for a quick breakfast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:00 pm 

Thanks for your reply karen. The foods from the grasses family are: wheat, corn, rice, barley, millet, rye, oats, sugar and bananas. All of these foods cause the skin on my face to break out within a matter of hours, into heaps of tiny blister like acne..... very irritating and itchy. I find that I can keep it to a comfortable level by eating less of oats, rice and wheat compared to the other foods listed but I am at a stage again where I am beginning to flare up instantaneously when eating even the smallest amount, from the build up over so many years.
Eldi..... thanks for the buckwheat waffles idea. Could you please tell me the quantities of each ingredient to make them?
I found a couple of sites last night about immunotherapy shots to reduce the reaction in the digestive system from allergenic foods. Does anyone know anything about this procedure, where it is done and how effective it is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:28 pm 

I only need to avoid cane sugar...because it is from the grass family as well. Beet sugar is fine (I use Rogers Sugar with no trouble at all). Bananas are tricky. I have absolutely no trouble with bananas, but some people on another corn allergy forum do have trouble with certain brands.

As for my buckwheat waffles/pancakes, I'm afraid that I do not use a recipe...I simple put the ingredients together until the texture appears right (a little thicker for waffles than for pancakes). They are actually very good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:40 am 

Thankyou soooo much! you are an absolute gem!!! I'm heading out tomorrow to buy Quinoa pasta, buckwheat flour and porridge, and rogers sugar. Hopefully if I can find all or some of these I'll have a few staple ingredients to get by without my much loved daily weetbix and bread. I never realised that You could buy a flour that was grain free! Thanks again.
Leigh. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:08 am 

I'm afraid you might not have much luck finding a quinoa pasta that does not have wheat in it. I haven't been able to find any here. Same goes for buckwheat pasta. For buckwheat porridge, I use the whole buckwheat and cook it like rice. Ancient Harvest has quinoa flakes for a lighter porridge, but the whole quinoa can also be cooked like rice. Make sure you rinse the whole quinoa really, really well...it has a bitter taste if you do not wash it well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:59 am 

BTW...it's only the Rogers granulated white sugar that is beet sugar. Their golden/brown sugars are cane sugars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:17 pm 

This is interesting---I have problems with some grains as well. Sorghum bothers me--not anaphylaxis, but definitely an allergy. I sometimes wonder about millet---I'm pretty sure I react to it raw (I grind it in my coffee grinder and add it to rice flour). My mouth and tongue got very itchy the other week when I tasted my concoction before baking it--it *could* have been the honey (which I cannot have raw), but I boiled it before adding it to the mixture, so I don't think that was it.

Basically, the only grain which I'm totally fine with is rice. And I can have molasses/sugar cane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:36 pm 

I used to think I was ok with rice as well. It wasn't until I took all grains out of my diet that I realized I was reacting to rice. I am doing great now that I only eat buckwheat, quinoa and tapioca starch (as a thickener, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:08 am 

I found buckwheat pasta at a local health food shop. No wheat.
I decided to speak to a GP about my food allergy and he has directed me to pathology..... where apparently you can now have blood tests for pretty much anything and everything (not just the food families). All the foods I am curious of are on the list!!! The last tests I had were 7 years ago and they didn't test so precisely then. You can only test for 4 things at a time, but I think it will be interesting to find out which particular foods are the worst and so on. MIght make it a little easier to avoid the main ones that cause the harshest reactions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:51 pm 

I can't have buckwheat or quinoa so if I had to avoid rice too, I'd be in trouble nutritionally speaking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:57 pm 

Just wanted to say that I stand corrected - and thanks for all the info about the grass family! Sorry that you are having to avoid so much. It must be very challenging.

(Wish I could be more help - but I'm glad some of our members are able to provide so much info and support!)

K.