You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:22 am 

A lot of people received this letter today. I think this is the beginning of the part where they "Kill Bill". Please write for one last time and let them know that we do not want to follow Alberta's lead on this one. WE WANT LEGISLATION!!!!! :

Dear XXXXXXXXX:

I am responding on behalf of the provincial government to your email regarding measures to protect students with severe food allergies in BC schools / regarding the private members' bill, the Anaphylactic Student Protection Act.

Please be assured that our government recognizes the seriousness of food allergies and the importance of having policies in place to address the health risk of anaphylaxis.

While local school boards are directly responsible for policy, planning, and delivering programs and services for all students, the Ministry of Education has provided school boards with materials to develop local policies and procedures related to anaphylaxis, and has urged school boards to take action. Additional booklets produced by the Council for Ministers of Education, Canada, titled Anaphylaxis: a Handbook for School Boards, were distributed to all school board chairs in 2006.

Ministry staff members have been in discussion with the Government of Alberta representatives, who have set up an information gathering process. We are currently assessing various options with respect to this issue. A policy advisory group, which includes health and education experts as well as parents, is being convened this spring to discuss and recommend options regarding a mechanism that will ensure a consistent approach among school boards across the province.

I appreciate your special interest in this issue and thank you for sharing your suggestions and concerns.

Sincerely,

Heather Hoult
Director, Healthy Schools
Ministry of Education/Ministry of Health

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:05 am 
Site Admin

Yes, I got that one. I am responding with 'why not look at Ontario's legislation?' and 'why reinvent the wheel?'.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:31 pm 

See http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... 1&start=90 (near the bottom) for my response.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:02 pm 

yep -- got it too and it didn't impress me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:03 pm 
Site Admin

Sent a letter, got the form answer. Sent a second (much more detailed letter) and just rec'd my second, identical form reply.

Am thinking wallpapering my office in them.
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:16 am 

Wow - that is insulting. I can understand about the first (sort of), but to get it AGAIN... Not respectful.

I will report back when *I* get my next issue of BC Wallpaper Weekly.

K.