You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Son sees the humour.
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:08 am 

My son recently turned nine. We've known about his insect allergy since he was two.

Recently allergies seem to crop up in books and movies and cartoons. And, I'm so glad that my son is able to see the humour and laugh at some of them.

We read all the Harry Potter books, and while waiting for the release of the final one, we found some books that are written as if they are Harry's school books. One is "Magical Creatures and Where to Find Them*. One of the magical creatures is a tiny insect. If it stings you, you feel giddy and levitate. Unless you are allergic to the sting, in which case you levitate forever. :lol: He decided he'd rather be a wizard with an allergy -- sounds like more fun. :wink:

Then he was watching Jimmy Neutron. Jimmy and his friends were watching some educational show which Jimmy loved, but his friends were really bored. The boy that has the asthma puffer (can't remember his name, but the puffer is in a lot of the shows), says "I'd rather be covered in bees then watch this.....and I'm allergic to bees". Again, my son just cracked up.

He's so absoultely paranoid of all insects -- but he enjoys this humour when it occasionally crops up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:29 pm 

That's great. My dd just turned nine as well. She's learned to laugh about things like that as well. We try to keep it as light as possible while still driving home the serious nature of the allergy. We tease each other about our allergies. (My dd is anaphylactic to peanuts and has some environmental allergies. I am anaphylactic sunflower seeds and allergic to too many things to list :) )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:35 pm 

Sounds like a kid with good mental health. :)

I went to see a movie called The Year of the Dog (with Molly Shannon) and the main character has a sister-in-law played by Laura Dern who is described as a super-mom in one movie review. More like super-annoying ... anyway, in the first scene with her the Laura Dern "Mom" character is going on about how they found out that the caregiver was giving their little darling (who has asthma and allergies) Benadryl to make him sleep and how "maybe they do that in third-world countries but...".

It went on from there... it was meant to be funny and it was (if you ignore the fact that drugging babies to make them sleep isn't funny) but I was thinking, "Oh my God, is that how I sound to my friends without children??" 'Cause it wasn't a flattering portrait!!

Maybe I'm not as mentally healthy as your son! LOL.

K.