Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sabrina's Law in US?
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:43 pm 

Thanks.

Last edited by nightowlmom on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:01 pm 

I would suggest you get in touch with the Seattle food allergy initiative or the FAI directly and they can support you with this effort. there are some states who have adopted legislation and some really strong groups working on it in various states. these organziations will have much more up to date info.

Good Luck!!! and if we can help let us know, I am part of the group working in BC on legislation that has been presented but we are not sure if it will pass or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Nightowlmom,

Allergic Living magazine has been keeping tabs on what's going on in the U.S. in terms of anaphylaxis school legislation. So far, there was been some state-by-state progress. (Funny you should ask, since we're planning on doing a small update in our Summer issue, and taking a slightly more detailed look in Fall.)

- Connecticut is the first state to have passed legislation, thanks to the efforts of Rosemary Szot, Rhonda Rigott Stevens and FAACT. You might want to contact them for some info - www.faact.org
- Massachusetts introduced an excellent guide for its schools to manage anaphylaxis. It may now also be law (we're checking). Mass. has been a very proactive state.
- New Jersey just passed a law in March - the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Coalition of New Jersey (FAACNJ) has been the driving group behind it, aided by the FAI.
- There has also been strong lobbying in New York and also Texas.

- Fyi, California does at least have some training for educators: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/he/hn/epiadmin.asp And you're one of the states with a "self-carry law" for medication (thank goodness).

I'd suggest checking FAAN's site (www.foodallergy.org) to find out if FAAN has a California chapter. If not obvious, e-mail FAAN to find out. If you find a support group but not a forum, you and other California parents are certainly welcome to start a thread in this section and use our forum to organize yourselves on this issue. (B.C. did that until they got quite big and felt the need to branch out.)

Good luck - and watch AL for updates. Gwen

Post subject: Self-carry law?
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:33 pm 

Gwen,

I am unaware of the self-carry law and have not found any local schools, public or private, that allow the Epipen to be anywhere other than the health office. Any resource you can point me to regarding self-carrying legislation would be much appreciated.

Also, my reading of the California Education Code tells me that schools can choose not to make epinephrine available (below), which frightens me. Our current school (a private school with no government funding) requires parents of students with life-threatening food allergies to sign a liability waiver stating that we will not hold the school responsible if it "neglects to administer epinephrine in an emergency." When I asked our superintendent why students with other life-threatening conditions are not required to have a waiver to be enrolled, he said, "It's your fault for bringing it up." California seems to have a long way to go!

(c) Each public and private elementary and secondary school in the state may voluntarily determine whether or not to make emergency epinephrine auto-injectors and trained personnel available at its school. In making this determination, a school shall evaluate the emergency medical response time to the school and determine whether initiating emergency medical services is an acceptable alternative to epinephrine auto-injectors and trained personnel. Any school choosing to exercise the authority provided under this subdivision shall not receive state funds specifically for the purposes of this subdivision.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:59 pm 

Hello Nightowl, i just had a thought as I read thru the lack of legislation,or good policy in California. you may have a way in thru family ties. your Governor's cousin by marrriage, Robert Kenned Jr. , has a son who is anaphylactic and Mr. Kennedy is very active in the allergy community.

Gwen you may be able to shed more ligth on this as to how to reach him or find out his involvement. Get the infomration take that to your Governor as a starting point or contact Mr. Kennedy directly.
just a thought....

by the way, I am appalled by what you have written - you are right, they have a LONG way to go.
keep us posted here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

N Owl,

Agree, Calif has a long way to go.

Few links of interest:

- The Calif. self carry law passed in Sept. 2004, find it here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/bilinfo.html
Year: 2004 / Bill No. is sb 1912

- http://www.westcaan.org/

Not sure if all of these still active:
- Food Allergy Support of Sacramento (FASS)
www.sacfoodallergy.org Sacfoodallergy@gmail.com
- Orange County Food Allergy Support Group Irvine and Orange county area SLinda@FoodAllergyBooks.com
- San Clemente Food Allergy Support Group
Sarah Ireland 949-429-3069 SusieKiley@cox.net http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCFoodAllergySupport
-San Diego Food Allergy Support Group www.sandiegofoodallergy.org info@sandiegofoodallergy.org

TZ is referring to RK Jr. being on the board of the FAI. See: http://www.foodallergyinitiative.org/