You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: coffee
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:51 pm 

I've been staying away from coffee for the past six years or so---it used to bother my throat occasionally, but then it got to the point at which it bothered my throat every time so I switched to tea. My skin tests to coffee have always been negative--I know that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm not allergic, but I'm wondering if coffee could be cross contaminated with something I'm allergic to or something. Do people with nut allergies have problems with coffee? If cross contamination isn't really an issue with coffee, is anyone else allergic? If so, are you also allergic to nuts? Thanks! Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:58 pm 

Okay, this will sound odd....are you allergic to fish?

At the allergy expo I picked up a brochure on fish allergies from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (I think that is there title) In the brochure it listed coffee and wine as possible sources of fish. It has something to do with the clarification process (???) of wine, and possibley of coffee. The people running the booth (who helped with the brochure) said that there was no reports of allergic reactions tied to coffee/wine and fish allergies.

I am anaphylaxtic to fish and drink lots of coffee and wine without problems.

Ali 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

dd can't have wine (ok-not a big issue now as she's 3 2/3 year old) or anything containing wine such as vinegar or salad dressings.
Wines are sometimes clairified with eggshells and she's allergic to egg. Some peope have been known to use eggshells in making coffee, too.
The same can be said for clear broths and consumees.
Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:17 pm 

Hi Ali and Susan,

Thanks for your help. Well, I'm not sure about the fish allergy. I've stayed away from fish mainly because fish ended up being a banned substance at my parents' because of my sister's allergy. I've had positive skin tests for some types of fish and shellfish so I
didn't want to experiment on my own...but on other skin tests, I didn't react. I recently did an oral challenge for salmon---and so now I know I can at least have salmon. That's interesting about the coffee and wine, though---I think I've heard that wine
sometimes contains isinglass which is from fish, but I had not heard about the coffee. Who would have thought?

Susan, I had not heard that egg could be in coffee :shock: eggs=anaphylaxis for me so maybe that could be it.

I'll be doing a number of oral challenges in the near future.
It's up to me what I want to try, however. I would like to try coffee again---I'll look into whether grinding my own beans will be safe.
Hopefully the egg (when it is added) is added when it is processed (?)
Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:38 am 
Site Admin

I don't know of any companies that add egg to their beans but I do know that some people add the shells to the coffee grounds when brewing.
You might want to check with the company.
It's interesting that you are alergic to eggs though isn't it.
Good luck, I would hate to havew to give up my coffee!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:23 pm 

Thanks--I will check with some coffee companies. I do miss coffee! Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:00 pm 

Do you still have a copy of that fish brochure???? Is there a place I can get that thing? I don't drink wine nor coffee, but I'd like to know more... in case I ever get the idea to take a few sips. I always reacted really weird to coffee as it puts me to sleep and that could be dangerous if fish is involved...

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:52 pm 

Mylene,

The fish brochure is called 'FISH (including crustaceans and shellfish) One of the nine most common food allergens'. It is by the Government of Canada.

Here is thebrochures list of possible sources of fish, crustaceans and shellfish

Coffee, deli meats, dips spreads, kamaboko(imitation crab/lobster), ethnic foods, fish mixtures(surimi), garnishes, gelatin, marshmallows, hotdogs, pet food,pizza toppings, salad dressings, sauces, soups, spreads, sushi, tarama and wine.

You may be able to get the brochure by emailing www.inspection.gc.ca or calling 1-800-442-2342

Ali 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:28 pm 

I imagine with wine (and some kinds of beer), fining with isinglass is the issue. Fining clarifies the liquid, removing sediment. Isinglass is a common fining agent. The only way to know for sure is to call the winery or brewery.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:00 am 

I know this is an old post but I thought I'd comment. Regarding coffee, you should phone the company of the brand you use to see if they produce flavoured coffees, like amaretto (almond), or hazelnut, or butter pecan, that sort of thing. It could therefore be a cross-contamination with nuts.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:33 pm 

I think I saw one of your posts under corn allergy. I am allergic to corn but I also will have nasty reactions to coffee because of the corn related additives that they are putting into coffee. I use organic whole bean coffee without a problem. If you go to page 218 of the attached CODEX list of allowed additives, you will see that there are 4 pages of allowed additives for coffee...many of which are corn derived.

http://www.cfqlcs.go.jp/administrative_ ... /gsfa2.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:13 am 

Thanks again! This helps a lot. I might try organic whole bean coffee . . . maybe it wasn't the coffee at all.