You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 4
Hi there. My son Axel who is 5 months old has a recently discovered cows milk allergy. Today he suddenly developed a nasty looking nettle like rash on his arm and when I smelled it it turns out it was a smudge of my oldest son's ice cream. Is it possible that he got such a nasty reaction from just skin contact?? This is all new to me, please help. Thanks, Helen

_________________
I'm Helen, the proud mom of
Manuel Jan 20, 05 (no allergies)
Axel Dec 21, 06 (cows milk allergy)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:59 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:17 pm
Posts: 6462
Location: Ottawa
Yes, it is possible to get a reaction through skin contact. We have experienced the same thing from chairs and highchairs at food courts, shopping cart seats, tables and toys.
We carry wet wipes everywhere.
On a positive note, you'll notice the allergen on his hands before he places them in his mouth.

_________________
Moderator
Daughter: asthma, allergies to egg, milk, peanuts, tree nuts, most legumes (not soy) & penicillin. Developing hayfever type allergies.
Husband: no allergies
Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:29 pm
Posts: 192
Location: Ohio
very very very much so.

_________________
Karen in Ohio mom of 7
Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:01 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Ontario, Canada
Just wanted to add my "absolutely". Skin reactions where why I had my son tested.

_________________
Jan, mom to 3 boys
DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 1:21 pm
Posts: 4
Thanks all of you! It's amazing what wisdom 24 hours of reserach can bring! I was initally quite stumped when I saw his reaction, but now I know to be a lot more careful than I thought necessary!

_________________
I'm Helen, the proud mom of
Manuel Jan 20, 05 (no allergies)
Axel Dec 21, 06 (cows milk allergy)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 pm
Posts: 2044
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
The other thing to be aware of is that if your child has eczema or broken skin you should be extra careful to make sure he doesn't get dairy on his skin. If the milk got into a cut or sore it is the same as ingesting the food, and he could react to that.

See Adverse reactions through skin contact for some details. When they talk about localized reactions, they mean reactions that stay where the allergen touches (like when your son had a rash where the milk touched him). When they say systemic reactions, they mean reactions that affect the whole body - which is anaphylaxis. In particular, read page 68 - top right paragraph.

I did ask an allergist about all this, because our support group had been wondering and I didn't want to worry people needlessly if it wasn't true, but she said that, yes, getting the allergen on an open cut or broken skin (as you would have with eczema or atopic dermatitis) could be considered ingesting the allergen.

I don't want to freak you out but I figure better to know what the risks are and take precautions than to not know and get a nasty surprise. I would hate for something to happen to your little one. It might be time to restrict how and where the other kids eat their dairy products in your home, since your little guy is so sensitive.

K.

_________________
Karen, proud Mom of
- DS1 (12 yrs): allergic to cashews, pistachios, Brazil nuts, potatoes, some legumes, some fish, pumpkin seeds; OAS
- DS2 (1o yrs): ana. to dairy, eggs, peanuts; asthma


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:53 pm
Posts: 1454
Location: Canada
Karen, I'd be interested in reading that article . . .but the link isn't working at least not on my computer. What's the author/title/journal? Thanks :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 pm
Posts: 2044
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Here's the actual link:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pd ... ookieSet=1

Title is "Adverse food reactions by skin contact"
Author: Dr. S.L. Bahna (Allergy/Immunology Section, Louisiana State University Health Science Center)
Allergy 2004:59 ( Suppl. 78 ): 66-70

K.

_________________
Karen, proud Mom of
- DS1 (12 yrs): allergic to cashews, pistachios, Brazil nuts, potatoes, some legumes, some fish, pumpkin seeds; OAS
- DS2 (1o yrs): ana. to dairy, eggs, peanuts; asthma


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:53 pm
Posts: 1454
Location: Canada
Thanks, Karen!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group