Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Weird allergy...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:09 pm 

Hi!

I'm a new member of this site and I'm wondering if someone share the same allergy as I.... Onion and green onion. Previously, I've had only an intolerance, but since last year, anaphylaxis just by having by mistake a piece of onion in my mouth. Worse, two weeks ago, I've unfortunatly discovered that now even odor of a fresly cut onion cause me anaphylaxis at a lesser degree... It's a nightmare! I'm often on the road for my job, so each time I have to go in a restaurant it's an profession of fate. How many times I've found a piece of raw onion unfortunatly sticked under a hambuger, or dropped on a pizza or in a salad, even with huge warning to the waiter. Doing grocery is also a job, because a lot of stuff have onion in...

Thnaks and I love this message board, I've found really good informations in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:16 pm 

Sorry, that's not one we are dealing with. It sounds rather challenging, given that you are on the road for your job a lot and have to eat in restaurants.

I googled "onion allergy" and got a number of hits, including

- http://www.allergyfree-gardening.com/tips.php#onion - mentions that aloe vera is in the same family, along with other foods and plants

- http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/onionfree/ - a forum for people with onion allergies! (Who knew??)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:48 am 
I'm intolerant to the onion family - not as severely as you, but instead just sickness and hives. I also have to stay away from leeks, garlic and chives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:39 pm 

Karen: Thank you very much for your help and URLs, it's very kind of you... :D

Laurie: I hope your onion allergy will not aggravate as mine... I've been on the "intolerence side" for ten years and POOF! now I carry Twinject.... :( I saw that you are also allergic to sulfa, like my mom, that's sad.

I wish you a very nice day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:34 pm 

I've been avoiding onion and garlic. I did test positive for onion on a skin prick test. I'm pretty sure white onion causes a few hives . . .but it is sometimes hard to say for sure what the trigger is. In any case, onion and garlic definitely trigger acid reflux for me so I avoid it for that reason.

I really miss onion . .. and garlic. To add more flavour to my onion-free dishes, I use portabello and shitake mushrooms + herbs. (Although I think I'm going to have to cut back on the mushrooms. They might be causing hives sometimes :roll: )

Post subject: Maybe a solution!
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 3:31 pm 

Hi Helen!

Guess what? My very onion allergic self may finally have found a substitute, hope it can help you too... :D Wasabi! I'm a sushi lover and it's often used in sushis. Each time I eat this I made a jump because it taste like green onion, but NO REACTIONS!!! Maybe because it's a root from a very different family (onion are "liliacee" and wasabi roots are in the same family of mustard... :shock: ). I think I'll start few receipe with this, and maybe my onion lover husband will finally have his onion cravings diminished... :D (he loves onion, but he loves me more, so he accepted to eject onion of the house instead of me... hehehehe).

I'll give you news concerning this additive that may help us both! :D

Geene

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:04 pm 

That is very cool. Since wasabi is made from horse radish (I think), you should be okay with horse radish too, right?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:42 pm 

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I'd try wasabi if it were available fresh from the produce section . . .but as it isn't, I'll try horseradish. My mom tells me that you can get horseradish at our local Zehrs (hadn't noticed it there before! I would never have thought of looking for it.) I had horseradish only once as a child--my grandfather was fond of it.

Post subject: wasabi
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:26 pm 

Usually, you can find wasabi in the japaneese section in most groceries. If not, try with specialized groceries with bio stuff. Yes Karen, you're right, wasabi is a kind of horse radish paste, very strong, so Helen, add it in small dose the first time (I've already, by mistake, put too much and it was awful!) :shock:

Regards
G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:50 pm 

I'll look out for wasabi, then!

Thanks for the warning. I do have a vivid memory of trying horseradish as a child, though--cleared out my sinuses!

I actuallly did try to cook with horseradish already. As is typical for me, I did all this research on preparing horseradish and then decided to do something totally different that no one recommended on any of the websites :lol:

I really tried to grate it, but it was just too frustrating---I don't think the grater I have is very sharp or of very good quality. Next time I should dig out the food processor! Anyhow, I cut the radish in very thin sticks and stir-fried it in olive oil and a bit of salt. Then I tasted it before adding it to some mushrooms and ground beef.

Cooking it really takes the bite out. The really thin sticks that got crispy tasted a little bit like pumpkin seeds---it was slightly sweet and nutty. The sticks that weren't so thin had a slightly stronger flavour.

I put apple cider vinegar (I know, it is supposed to be white vinegar) and salt on the rest of the uncooked "sticks" and put them in the fridge for later use. I must not have stirred the salt and vinegar in very well, though, because a few of the sticks turned a slightly mouldy colour in spots. I threw out the lot!

I'm going to try this experiment again.. . .when I have some more free time on my hands or when I find a smaller root in the store. (Peeling and cutting the horseradish was time consuming.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:48 am 

Helen - interesting culinary adventures!

Maybe give a seafood restaurant a call to ask what they do to grate fresh horseradish for their oysters. I know that Big Daddy's Crabshack up here grates fresh horseradish a lot - so maybe they have a good grater to recommend. Or go to a good kitchen stores and explain what you are looking for. It's so frustrating to try to cook with substandard tools, isn't it?

I would also suggest you check out the Stainless-Steel Rasp and Zester Holder from Lee Valley Tools - picture and details at http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.as ... 0733,44734 . It is awesome and might be sharp enough for what you want to do. It grates very very finely.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:09 am 

This post is a bit late, but . . .I could use one of those! Thanks (as always) Karen! I haven't gone back to trying horseradish yet . .but one of these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:46 pm 

No problem. :)

It does a great job at grating ginger and other roots as well.

K.