You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:26 pm 

I've been off of ALL eggs for over 2 weeks and today I added in 2 eggs for lunch and LOVED every bite of them!

Ok, so let's talk about what happened afterwards. Within 15 min. I was dizzy and clumsy and noticed slight tingling in my tongue. My throat felt like it would if it were sore and swollen, just without the sore part, does this make sense? I keep swallowing as this is an annoyance to me right now but it's definitely swollen but not to the point that I cannot breath or wheezing so I know it's not severe. Oh, and I am sleepy and a bit nauseous too. This is all in 30 min.

I guess the egg test failed. Anybody have any thoughts for me on this? What would happen if I tried it again? Worse? Better? Same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:00 pm 

I don't know what would happen if you tried it again, but I wanted to commiserate :) I just tried a food test too, with dairy. I am intolerant (but not allergic) and thought, with my recent other allergies limiting things a little, why not see if I could add it back? Well, the effects were immediate. My face broke out, I spent three days feeling like I constantly had to clear my throat, and I needed two puffs of the asthma inhaler instead of only one. Never again! Dairy is fine for me in limited capacity (for example, in baked goods in small amounts) but no more milk or cheese. Too bad all the tofu subs have cornstarch though :(

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:41 am 
Site Admin

Brenda, I think this sounds like an allergic reaction and with reactions they can be mild or severe but you can't determine how severe the next one is based on the last or even on the ammount of allergen consumed. Studies have been done and continue to be done because they have no definative answer to these questions.
I think that you are playing with fire if you are doing an oral challenge at home or at work. These should only be done in a hospital or Dr's office and usually after testing negative to a skin prick test and RAST.
Do you have an EpiPen or Twinject?
Have you seen an allergist?
I know that you have mentioned elsewhere that you have gone through an elimination diet. I would be very careful about introducing foods without Dr's advice first.
I hope you stay safe.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:32 am 

I agree that you shouldn't do any more food challenges at home -- this is very dangerous. If you are allergic, you are playing with fire. One can never tell from reaction to reaction how one will react and you could quite possibly end up having a life threatening anaphylactic reaction. A life threatening reaction can escalate very quickly. I would get tested for the foods you suspect give you problems and then definitely carry either an EpiPen or Twinject if your test results support that you are allergic. You can't desensitize yourself from the food you are allergic to by introducing it in small amounts or gradually over time -- the only way to treat food allergies at this time is to avoid the offending food(s) altogether and carry epinephrine in case of accidental exposure. I hope I haven't sounded to "preachy"! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:10 pm 

Thank you for your advice :) I appreciate anything!

I went to a natural doc who ordered a blood test for these things and they allergy level for most of the things were a 1 or 2 so I wasn't scared about doing the food elimination and challenge with them. the eggs was a 3 so I will definitely be more careful with them.

Peanuts was a 2 but I tried that 2 days ago and I got throat tightness and later a headache. I am confused about that as I thought anaphylaxis was either you get a swollen throat or you don't. I thinik I am confused LOL

I am only needing to add in wheat but I don't expect anything like the eggs or PB. My natural doc cannot prescribe an epipen so I guess I should share this info with my regualr doc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:14 am 

Unless your natural doc was using a RAST test, I'm not sure I would trust the results.

As I said in my other post in the Peanuts forum, I think you should be consulting a board-certified allergist.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:29 am 

KarenOASG wrote:
Unless your natural doc was using a RAST test, I'm not sure I would trust the results.

As I said in my other post in the Peanuts forum, I think you should be consulting a board-certified allergist.

K.

That's the reason for the food elimination as I have been doing tons of reading on all of the testing and even the RAST test took a backseat to a food elimination diet which is the most accurate of all testing. :wink: I have found that one of the foods I tested positive for was a false positive (chocolate, thank goodness!). Everything else seems to be accurate so far but I have other things I haven't added back in but I guess I will talk to my doc.

We left our previous allergiest as I didn't think she took her job seriously enough and we were just a number to get in and out as quickly as possible and I always left her office with more questions than when I went in. So I have nobody at the moment. Perfect example is: my ODD was tested positive for peanuts and left the office without a prescription for an Epi-Pen OR information on the seriousness of this allergy. I was really upset when her Pediatrician told me about it!

I'm learning so much in this forum though! Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:42 am 

The first allergist we saw was similar to the one you described...rushing us in and out of the office without answering our questions, and giving incomplete (if not downright dangerous) advice. We felt like we had completely wasted our time every time we saw him (and we had to drive 2hrs. to get to his office :x ).
But I can't even say how fantastic our current allergist is. We really felt like he was listening to us, not just relying on RAST results (which don't paint a full picture on their own). He gave us great information, and recomendations that we feel comfortable with. I really feel like my sons are in good hands with him.

My point being, not all allergists are created equal, and you may find it useful to seek out a different one.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema