You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:45 am 

I have been asked to be part of the Advisory Committee on Anaphylaxis that the Ministry of Education is putting together. The first meeting is June 4th. That is about all I know at this point.

I am trying to compile information on situations that have happened in BC, or what is is like for BC kids/parents in the school system right now.

I would like:

1. personal stories - the good, the bad, the ugly
2. what kind of support you would like to see - please be as specific as possible eg supervision over recess and lunch times, emotional support for your child, and give reasons why you need theat support.
3. have you had to guide the school, or did the school know what to do
4. are you happy with the school policy and does it reflect your district's policy (or does your school and district have a policy
5. anything else you think is important for this committee to know

please private message me if you have anything you would like to share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:31 am 
Site Admin

Pamela, I have been posting on another board, the updates and requests for involvment in the letter writing campaign in support of M210.
I think that you may wish to post this request there yourself as they have private message capability as well.
They have a couple boards you may wish to post in namely Allergies and British Coumbia.
Here is the link if you choose to do so:
http://forum.canadianparents.ca/ubbthre ... hreads.php
Good luck!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:17 am 

Pam, does the fact that the Ministry of Ed. is going ahead with this advisory committee mean that it doesn't look good for the Bill passing? or would they do this anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:29 am 

I really don't know that much about politics, but I believe that they would have to do this anyway.

The invitation was calling for representatives from Health Authorities, the Provincial Parent Advisory Committee, the Principal and Vice Principal Association, AC, AAIA, etc. It would seem to me to be a good idea to have all these groups sit down together and all be on the same page no matter what happens on Monday. They would all have to work together to come up with a plan of how to implement procedures, a "best practices" approach, etc. Sabrina's Law in BC would probably have to be a little different than in Ontario just because some of our systems are different. I don't know all the ways it would be different, but one thing that would be different in BC is that the school nurses already are in charge of training here, and in Ontario, it is not part of their jobs, so Ontario had to come up with a way to train all school staff, which they have done by providing workshops over the internet. All these little details have to be worked out, and so it is good that these meetings are happening.

I am trying to get stories and examples, because I know that there are many districts with policies that are excellent, but they do not get implemented, and I feel that is why we need legislation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:10 am 

Thanks!