You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:24 pm 

Quote:
NEW YORK (AHN) - A study conducted by the Psychosomatic Medicine Journal finds that parents suffering from major depression are more likely to have children with asthma and other allergies.

The study was conducted by Dr. Ramin Mojtabai of Columbia University who gathered samples from 9,240 parent-child pairs; 8,686 were biological pairs, the remaining 554 were non-biological.

Thirty-one percent of the children and 19 percent of the adults had allergic disorders. Among the adults, 6% suffered major depression, 3% suffered panic attacks, and 3% had anxiety disorder.

Full story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:37 am 

Which comes first--the "allergic disorder" or depression? The article doesn't clarify whether they just studied parents with allergic children or whether they studied people who wanted to be parents and then followed up to see whether the children are allergic or not. I'd guess my first suggestion would be the case---the second study sounds like it would be impractical. My other question would be---are there any differences between the prevalence of depression associated with allergic diseases and with other comparable illnesses? Illnesses of any sort--especially chronic illnesses can lead to depression.

Post subject: Post topic
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:42 pm 

I do not know what would come first at all. I know from my life my Dad did not commicate at all. So a lot of the extreme allergy and asthma stuff was not explained to myself at all by him while I was a child. He could not hide that I had some problems though; I was born with them.His behaviour lead to his chronic depression and his premature death. (suicide) This is will probally explain while I sound so confussed at times about my childhood. Sure hope no other parents or children have this difficutly, the it was a very hard to handle emontionally. :(

Last edited by Kelly on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Kelly, it sounds like you almost blame your fathers depression on your allergies.
People are predisposed to depression just as they are predisposed to allergies.
You were not the cause of his depression or suicide. It is unfortunate that he was not diagnosed and treated for his depression. Perhaps if he had been able to communicate better, he would have been able to seek help. Perhaps not, in the not so distant past, suicide had quite the stigma, luckiy that is changing.
I suffered from depression in the past (teen years) and I have a daughter who has food allergies. I am not suffering from depression at this time. My daughter is a source of great joy.
I'm sure you brought your father a lot of joy, too. Try not to be too hard on yourself.
These types of studies that don't give any meaningful data make me mad!
All that they show is that more research is needed. In essence the scientists are justifiying their existence and the need for bigger grants.
Research is great but either give us enough information to interpret the data or don't bother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:41 pm 

Susan;
I need to learn to express myself more clearly when I am writing a comment especially when it is a emontional topic. I am sorry about your teen depression it must of been hard for you.
Kelly

Post subject: My Father's Grave
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:07 am 

This is a extremely sensitive topic for myself and possibly others; so I wil be careful to phrase properly. :oops:
I was asked by my Dad's brother and his sister to see how is grave is doing.( We are not a large family) I travelled and went and saw it . His is in good shape and alI .
I must say that some of the parenting points of view have helped me with looking at my Father in a different light. It is similar to " the peer therapy " I did all those years ago when he died.
So thank you :)
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

:)