Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:00 pm 

Hello,

It is very interesting to read all of your forums regarding Sulfa Drugs, Sulfites and the Epipen.
I have know about my allergy to sulfites for at about 15 years now. I figured it out myself according to what I ate and what the common denominator was. Some of my favorite foods, I can no longer eat. I asked my doctor a few years ago what I should avoid, she said shelfish and sulphite derivatives. People with Asthma are more prone to sulphite allergies. I have even had a reaction to artichokes from Sam's club. If I am not sure of something I certainly don't take the chance.
My mom informed me I have been allergic to sulfa drugs since I was very young. I am also allergic to sulfa drugs.
I had a severe reaction to shellfish last x-mas when I was just standing at the fish counter in the supemarket when my family was buying crab legs. I never really was drawn to shellfish so I never was really exposed to it. I thought that was going to be my first hospital visit for food allergies, VERY SCARY! When they were cooking I could not be in the room either. Four hours later, I came out to eat with everyone and I still felt strange (lightheaded). I emailed my doctor and she informed me this was most likely a cross reaction due to my sulfa drug allergy. I now carry an epipen, which my doctor says I will be fine with should I ever need to use it. The benefit of the epipen outways the sulfites. I had a lot of epinephrine shots as a young child from allergy shot reactions with no problem. I have my dentist give novacaine instead of the modern anesthesia. I have also had reactions to SODIUM BICARBONATE or AMMONIUM CHLORIDE that were in pretzels I had always been able to eat. I was informed several years ago that each time we are exposed to the same item that we have had a reaction to it can get worse each time. I would just caution each and every one of you to read every label now, just because it wasn't in there before does not mean it can't be in the future. I am now unofficially a Medic Alert Advocate, I hound people until they get one. It may save their life one day. Especially with sulphites, we don't always know we have ingested it. Sorry to be so long winded, I have never posted like this to a forum so I had a lot to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:50 pm 

Hi javpups - and welcome to the forum!

K.