You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:34 am 

My 9 month old son has just been diagnosed with milk and egg allergies, confirmed by a scratch test. Level 4+ reaction for both. Anyone had a reaction like this and grown out of it?? I have been advised by the allergist to avoid milk, eggs, nuts and fish because I am still breastfeeding. My concern is what I can eat and should eat to meet my nutritional needs and his when he starts eating more solids? If you can recommend any good products and where to find them, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:59 am 

Hi Cole's Mommy -

Welcome to the forum! I'm sad that you had to join the League of Extraordinary Folks with Allergies, but glad that you found us.

I would first check out the Egg and dairy allergies forum to see what other kinds of info has been shared over the past while. There is lots of good stuff there.

When my youngest was a baby and nursing (he was diagnosed at 5 months), I avoided dairy, eggs, wheat, barley, peanuts and nuts for almost 3 years. (And even gained weight at times!) So it is do-able. But it is challenging at the start as it is such as shift in diet, I know.

Here, in no particular order, are things that I ate (and still do eat):
1. Soy cream cheese and soy sour cream - Tofutti
2. Safe margarine - Nuvel (Quebec brand) and Fleischmann's Lactose-Free (both are totally dairy free)
3. Rice Dream rice milk - on my cereal.
4. Coffee Rich - in my tea. It is soy-based and you find it in the freezer section. Some people like soy milk in their tea or coffee - I stayed away from soy milk, but that is also an option. We even used it as a cream sub at times, e.g. when making soup or sauces that called for a bit of cream.
5. Soy yogurts - there are a few brands out there - look in the organic section of your grocery story or in a health food store
6. Smoothies with rice milk, bananas, soy yogurt, strawberries, honey - super yummy.
7. Home-made muffins and cakes and cookies.
8. Store-bought cookies that are safe for D/E/P/N include Oreos (many kinds), FudgeeOs, David's Maple Leaf cookies, Dare Ginger Cookies and Dare Oatmeal cookies. There are others too, but not a huge quantity.
9. SunButter - sunflower seed butter that is peanut and nut free. SunButter is impossible to find right now except from the Winnipeg distributor (www.sunbutter.ca), but apparently it is soon going to be easily available in Ontario. Other people like Pea Butter or Soynut butter. Check out the Shopping forum for some ideas about that stuff.

It helps if you like to bake and cook. There are a number of egg subs for baking that I'm sure are mentioned in the Egg and dairy allergies forum, but if you don't find that info, post there and we will help.

Definitely check out the Recipes forum as well for some ideas.

It might be a good idea to consult a nutritionist as well. I never had a lot of luck myself, but you are closer to the Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto where they have some expertise (dietitians with The Speciality Shop), so that might be worth checking out.

Hope this helps for a start. If you have specific question, just post! :)

K.

Edited to change "all kinds" of Oreos to "many kinds".

Last edited by KarenOASG on Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:46 am 
Site Admin

I would definately suggest you see a registered dietican t confirm you are meeting your dietary requirements given the restrictions in your diet.
We are avoiding egg and dairy but not too concerned about nuts or fish so definatey read the labels (I know you would any way)
We have found the following:
Natura brand soy milk (cheap and tasty!) I like that it is avaiabe in the tetra packs and it's cheaper by the case
http://www.nutrisoya.com/

Earth Isand brand veganaise (mayonaise) and meltable soy cheeses (now we can have pizza!)
http://www.followyourheart.com/404.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:56 pm 

KarenOASG wrote:
Store-bought cookies that are safe for D/E/P/N include Oreos (all kinds)

Karen -- not sure if you are saying that there are all kinds of Oreos that are safe... or that all of the Oreo varieties are safe. If I'm not mistaken, I thought I read a peanut / nut warning on the mint Oreos (chocolate cookie with green coloured filling)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:41 pm 

Sorry - you are right - I should be clearer. We haven't been able to find mint so I don't know about them. (Now I know not to bother!)

The safe ones I've seen at our Loblaws are
- Oreos (regular sized package)
- Golden Oreos (regular sized package)
- Double Stuf Oreos (regular sized package)
- Chocolate Cream Oreos (regular sized package)
- Double Stuf Chocolate Cream Oreos (regular sized package)

K.