You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ok, what would you do?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:36 pm 

I just found out that the gym at school is about to be filled with balloons even though there is a child with a latex allegy in our school. I can't imagine that they will be using all mylar ones, but I could be wrong.... They will be put there for an evening event where the child won't be attending, but from what I understand latex shouldn't be in the school at any time if there is an anaphylactic child attending.

So should I ask the organizers about all this or hope that the principal/parent knows about this use of balloons? I don't know the parent - but the family did join our classroom this January so at least I know about the allergy (my principal makes all the allergy info classroom specific. I have tried to change this, believe you me). But as I don't have the most chummy relationship with the principal I find it hard to address this with her -- she will get defensive as if I butting in. I gotta say,though, if a mom who knows of our allergy found out there was a classroom making peanut butter bird feeders, I would want her to ask some questions for me and/or let me know asap.

ACK!! What to do?!!!

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:04 am 
Site Admin

I would send an e-mail (because I can wait, review and ensure it's not too emotionaly charged).
If you stick to the facts then you should be OK.
Just point out that you are aware of this plan, remember that child and hope that the principal has advised the parents of the event.
You might say that as a parent of a chlid with allergies you would want to know and so they probably would too.
Those without allergies in their lives don't always see the bigger picture. They tend to think in terms of feeding the person.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:27 am 

I would try to inform the parents. If you don't know who they are, could you go through the classroom teacher? That way they can deal with the situation, however they would like to.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:55 am 

i would definanatly go to the organisers or the teacher who's student it is, and probably to like minded parents. because all i can think of is omg recirculated air going through that building the next school day and that poor child having some kind of reaction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:43 pm 

Is this a school event, or an after school club?

If it's a school event, I would be inclined to let the parent know -- it is obvious the principal doesn't *get it*.

However, if it's an after school club (like brownies or something) they may not know about the student in the school with the allergy. (I'm not sure if there's actually a ban or not.) Since the schools rent out the space, some don't want to enforce bans after-hours. They think that if the allergen is gone by morning there is no risk. It doesn't sound like you could educate your principal about that -- so maybe talk to the parent, or as someone else suggested, talk to the teacher to pass the message to the parent. (Assuming the teacher gets it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:13 pm 

It's a PAC fundraising event for the parents -- a silent and live auction to fund our art program.

I decided to email the principal and she said she would look into it. She did mention that the parents of the child weren't overly concerned about events like this where she isn't involved. Either I don't understand latex allergies (which is probable) or :shock:

I feel like I have done what I can -- thanks again to the forum for your advice to contact someone.

Caroline