You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ice Cream Day at School
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:56 pm 

My son's school is having an Ice Cream day at the end of June. I emailed the principal to find out what kind of ice cream they will be serving. She informed me that the ice cream truck is coming to the school to hand out snow cones & ice cream cones. As far as I know, ice cream trucks do not guarantee that their products are peanut & nut free. I am livid! :evil: The school is supposed to be food allergy friendly, yet they organize these days that are potentially harmful to children.

I am in the middle of drafting a response to her but I thought I'd better collect my thoughts & try to sound intelligent & not just emotional! This is the best place to vent!

Any comments would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:17 pm 

Ellie
...what are the allergies present (are they dairy allergies)?...could they just hand out snow cones (the ice with syrup)? Could you get the number of the owner of the ice cream truck and speak to him about the items he carries/uses? Soft serve ice cream (like at McD's) is from my experience safe due to the control of the peanuts in a contained plastic bags...maybe you could ask that no dips/toppings be used on this day...A friend of mine whose daughter has milk intolerances (I know this is very different), brought her own milkshake for her daughter to school on their ice cream day...some things to think about...
Ang