You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:43 am 

Okay, so if SHE is allergic, he wears a latex, then a lambskin. If HE is allergic, it's the other way around. If BOTH parties are allergic, then it's lambskin, latex, lambskin.

Are there other alternatives to all this layering? What do you do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:44 pm 

It's generally a very bad idea to layer condoms--they are not meant to be used that way and are far more likely to fail (break).

I use polyurethane condoms. I prefer male condoms--the female condom (it's latex free!) just doesn't work for me, though I encourage folks to try them. The female condom is now branded FC, though it used to be called Reality. For personal reasons, I will not use natural membrane condoms.

My husband and I use Avanti without spermicide. There is an Avanti with spermicide. Avanti is made by Durex. Trojan also has a polyurethane condom: Supra. It only comes with spermicide.

For those who are fluid bonded, one can get non-latex diaphragms and cervical caps. Those are most effective with used with spermicide. There are also other options: IUD (copper or plastic), hormonal contraception (bc pill, nuvaring, implants, injections, patch), fertility awareness method (FAM), and spermicidal foam/sponge/jelly. Abstinence is another option, just not for me. For those who need dental dams, there are nitrile and other non-latex dental dams available, though cling wrap *is* safe these days.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:10 pm 

ygg, is your concern about spermacide allergy related?

I did have a talk with my son regarding his latex allergy and condoms - I just wanted to know if there's more information I should have given him.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:55 pm 

I'm allergic to nonoxynol-9. Lots of people are allergic to it or sensitive to it. Some studies show that N-9 increases the risks of contracting UTIs and HIV.

ygg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:22 am 

VERY INTERESTING. I used to work at the AIDS Committee of Toronto, and it was a DOCTOR who told me about the condom layering. Thanks for setting me straight! I don't have a laytex allergy, but iIt's always good to have accurate information. Especially when you're someone who shoots her mouth off all the time like I am :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:34 pm 

Just a question: my mom asked me this weekend if I saw a certain program (she forgot the name...) where there was a mention that casein (milk) allergy can be a concern with condoms, not just latex... anyone have anything on this???? The casein could explain a lot of things, but I have never heard about it before, but my mom thought I did, so she didn't call me to tell me the program was on... Anyone heard of that or something similar?

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:40 pm 

If you do a search on vegan condoms, you can find info about casein being used in natural rubber latex production. It's supposed to be used during processing, but isn't retained in the final product. I have no clue why--perhaps it's due to casein's plasticizing qualities? (That's just a thought, no facts to back it up.)

ygg